Beautiful Day...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Thank you for your welcome...I'm close to your age...we're the aging hippies!

Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing sparkles but my excuse is my age. :):D

A very warm welcome to the forum from me too; I'm a 70 year old gardening novice and already asking lots of basic questions. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.[/QUOTE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Sparkles .. @Colin works his garden like an enthusiastic 7 year old..
I replied, but not sure where my message took off to...I'll figure this out sooner or later...just very nice to chat with people from, literally, everywhere. My hub is very, very ill, so my garden is my sanctuary. Life gets interesting sometimes...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, sparkles...!! :)

Ah, I had a hunch, so I googled, too. :D A knot garden is also known as a parterre. (y)

My hub is very, very ill, so my garden is my sanctuary. Life gets interesting sometimes...

You can work out a lot of problems in the garden.
Sorry to hear he is unwell. :(

Colin works his garden like an enthusiastic 7 year old..

An enlightened enthusiastic 7 year old... at least he asks questions and listens to the answers... before he goes to tear it asunder with his shovel!! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you for your welcome...I'm close to your age...we're the aging hippies!

You're most welcome sparkles and there are benefits to being older like we can relax because the young uns don't take us too seriously. :D:) Sorry though to learn you've got problems and I'm sure you'll find members here very supportive so do as I do and just ramble on. Please be aware though that I've only been a forum member since September and already I'm over 450 posts so I must be sad spending so much time at the keyboard but then I did say this forum is addictive. (y)

Thanks alp; yes you've got me well sussed out. :D

This forum is the bee's knees MaryMary when it comes to asking gardening questions however basic the questions are; I've already learned a lot from you members more knowledgeable than I; when I ask a question I take every reply seriously because I'm aware members spend time doing their best to help each other. :):):)

You've just reminded me sparkles; I need my hair cutting at the back because it's starting to tickle my neck; if I start to go blind then it's the front needing cutting and if I start to go deaf it's the sides need cutting; I let my lovely Bron attack it with kitchen scissors because I'm a tight Yorkshireman who hasn't been to see a barber for the last 41 years. They do say the difference between a bad or good haircut is two weeks. I'm definitely looking like an hippie at the moment. :LOL:

Will I be able to attack the garden tomorrow MaryMary; the forecast is poor as usual but as you and alp rightly say I'm definitely enthusiastic; I drive our Skoda Yeti and if it becomes much colder I'll end up looking like a Yeti whilst in the garden?

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MaryMary; I might manage a session after all tomorrow morning before the weather turns bad:

upload_2017-12-6_21-56-34.png

A drop of rain from Blackie and Gale putting in a nice 42mph breeze; very kind of both of them; no dust to worry about and I'll be kept air cooled so just a normal morning. I wonder if the neighbours would mind me digging between 6:00 and 7:00 o'clock during the heatwave. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Hi,

You're most welcome sparkles and there are benefits to being older like we can relax because the young uns don't take us too seriously. :D:) Sorry though to learn you've got problems and I'm sure you'll find members here very supportive so do as I do and just ramble on. Please be aware though that I've only been a forum member since September and already I'm over 450 posts so I must be sad spending so much time at the keyboard but then I did say this forum is addictive. (y)

Thanks alp; yes you've got me well sussed out. :D

This forum is the bee's knees MaryMary when it comes to asking gardening questions however basic the questions are; I've already learned a lot from you members more knowledgeable than I; when I ask a question I take every reply seriously because I'm aware members spend time doing their best to help each other. :):):)

You've just reminded me sparkles; I need my hair cutting at the back because it's starting to tickle my neck; if I start to go blind then it's the front needing cutting and if I start to go deaf it's the sides need cutting; I let my lovely Bron attack it with kitchen scissors because I'm a tight Yorkshireman who hasn't been to see a barber for the last 41 years. They do say the difference between a bad or good haircut is two weeks. I'm definitely looking like an hippie at the moment. :LOL:

Will I be able to attack the garden tomorrow MaryMary; the forecast is poor as usual but as you and alp rightly say I'm definitely enthusiastic; I drive our Skoda Yeti and if it becomes much colder I'll end up looking like a Yeti whilst in the garden?

Kind regards, Colin.
Colin...thank you for your kind reply. There is something about gardening that only fellow gardeners understand and appreciate. I've heard it said that 'it all began in a garden'. It is a sunny day today...but I live in central CA on the coast...a bit of paradise.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome sparkles; I agree finding gardeners always have lots to talk about and gardening to me is interesting unlike discussing kicking a ball around which appears to be an obsession with so many. :)

Well MaryMary; you were right of course; (y) as soon as Blackie quit soaking everything I was out early this morning armed with my trusty spade and knocked off at 9:45 wet through with sweat in spite of perishing Gale trying to blow me over; another patch dug over so another patch less to do; perhaps three more sessions will see this area dug over but the outside temperature is set to plummet from tomorrow onwards; I wish someone would invent a working force field then I could shut the dire weather out for good and settle down to enjoying retirement in peace; in the meantime I'll carry on moaning whilst doing the best I can. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sparkles, I have been remiss in welcoming you--trying to finish up the gardens here and plan/prepare for Christmas!
A hearty welcome to you! You'll find great advice and discussions here.you've already met some of us, with more nice folks to come. Enjoy, share, and give advice when you like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Sparkles, I have been remiss in welcoming you--trying to finish up the gardens here and plan/prepare for Christmas!
A hearty welcome to you! You'll find great advice and discussions here.you've already met some of us, with more nice folks to come. Enjoy, share, and give advice when you like.
Thank you...I lived in Houston and Waco many, many moons ago...I really enjoyed Waco. Had an excellent job, but mom took ill and we moved to CA to be near her and ended up staying here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
You can just attach them in a post from your phone or computer.
Have you heard of those books..."..........for Dummies". Well, sadly, I need step by step instructions how to get a picture from my phone to this website. Have no idea how to do it...who to send it to...what button to push. I just recently purchased a new phone. I had a flip up phone for a very long time. I know how to forward pictures to the people on my phone list, but not to a website. Thanks in advance for helping the 'stupified'.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sparkles, we are about 25 miles from Waco! We are members of the Cameron Park Zoo, shop at the "big" HEB grocery in Waco about once a month to get things not available at our small town HEB, and raid the Waco plant nurseries regularly.
You'd be welcomed back to Waco!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Sparkles, we are about 25 miles from Waco! We are members of the Cameron Park Zoo, shop at the "big" HEB grocery in Waco about once a month to get things not available at our small town HEB, and raid the Waco plant nurseries regularly.
You'd be welcomed back to Waco!
Oh my...it's been 40 years...I lived near Baylor U. I remember we lived on a corner lot and that was the biggest lot I had ever seen...all grass.

Ask a Question