Baytree roots- can they cause damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Baytree situated close to a well in my garden and I would like advice please on whether the root system could cause it damage, photo attached. The well is topped by the barrel.
Thankyou

Attachments

• 76B96FAC-D56C-4CD9-9B1C-4641DF184CEC.jpeg
    76B96FAC-D56C-4CD9-9B1C-4641DF184CEC.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Jcowell41 :)
At the moment your Bay tree is probably not doing any damage at all to the well, but as it grows bigger it may become a different story. If it were mine, I would be happier to have it growing in a large pot raised on bricks to keep an eye on it.
1614940734394.png
Bay trees may seem to be slow growing, but in time can become quite large -

1614941534956.png
that would be when it will cause problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome. Where are you in the UK? There`s a nursery near me in Kent where I`m able to pick up big tree size pots second hand (saves dosh)
It is possible that with a bit of pruning/root pruning you could transfer your Bay. It looks very healthy.
Of course, I forgot to mention, any tree roots will naturally be attracted to any water source - like a well, or other source like drains/plumbing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It depends a bit on how the well is lined and how deep it is. Roots will grow where they detect water. People think they grow into things like sewer pipes because there is water in them, but it only happens if the pipe is leaking, they can't detect the water if the pipe is secure. I don't see why roots should attack a brick lining, they might dry out a shallow well in a hot summer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It depends a bit on how the well is lined and how deep it is. Roots will grow where they detect water. People think they grow into things like sewer pipes because there is water in them, but it only happens if the pipe is leaking, they can't detect the water if the pipe is secure. I don't see why roots should attack a brick lining, they might dry out a shallow well in a hot summer.
Thankyou. The water is way below ground level so it should be fine, I’ll just keep it nicely trimmed and about the same size. Thanks again John

Ask a Question