Roots about to be cut - is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

well, as the garden revamp continues, I have a tree root issue.

I previously had a conifer removed, it's roots were lifting the garage floor, and it was way too close to the house.

At the other end of the property, I have two conifers, side by side, and only 12 feet from the house. They also happen to be at the corner where my sump pump is situated in the basement, a water source for the roots.

I have cut the skirts of the trees, and now want to put down grass, but the roots are causing two main issues.

1. The roots sticking up won't make for a flat lawn area that can be mowed, and they will be a tripping hazard. Also ugly! (PHOTO 1)

2. There are roots snaking directly to my home, and they may have already caused damage. It looks like the wall at the corner is cracking. I need to remove them, and wonder if this is ok to do? (PHOTO 2)

While I am asking, down the slope that runs away from the house, there are a lot of spindly roots on the surface. Is it ok to remove them? (PHOTO 3)

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Hugh

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Having had drain and foundation damage at a previous house of mine, I know exactly what you are going through Hugh. In my case the conifers were in my neighbours garden but only 15ft away. I would never plant any conifer or pine within 40ft of a building, drains or water supply, particularly if the drains are old and have clay pipes, the roots will break through.

I don't understand what you mean by having cut the skirt of the trees? Because they are so close the trees should be completely removed. Once felled conifers won't re-shoot and the roots in time will die. You can remove all roots above and below ground. Those that have reached your home can be cut away and left to die off. If the roots at that point have a diameter of more than a couple of inches it may be wise to have your foundations checked.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Having had drain and foundation damage at a previous house of mine, I know exactly what you are going through Hugh. In my case the conifers were in my neighbours garden but only 15ft away. I would never plant any conifer or pine within 40ft of a building, drains or water supply, particularly if the drains are old and have clay pipes, the roots will break through.

I don't understand what you mean by having cut the skirt of the trees? Because they are so close the trees should be completely removed. Once felled conifers won't re-shoot and the roots in time will die. You can remove all roots above and below ground. Those that have reached your home can be cut away and left to die off. If the roots at that point have a diameter of more than a couple of inches it may be wise to have your foundations checked.

Cut the skirt = cut the low hanging branches. This garden is overgrown and needing a lot of care. Here's the comparison in a couple of images. The tree branches were touching the ground to start with.

I guess the trees should come down, but I'm not at that place yet. That's why I was wondering about removing roots for the moment.

Yeah, I agree, trees close to houses are a big issue. Sorry you had to deal with it previously.

Thanks!

Hugh

4.jpg
5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I didn't realise the trees were to remain. In which case I wouldn't cut the roots. Conifers are shallow rooted and cutting the roots will make them unstable. You can remove those roots that are above ground though.

They are far to close to the house, the longer they remain the more likely damage to your home will occur.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, I didn't realise the trees were to remain. In which case I wouldn't cut the roots. Conifers are shallow rooted and cutting the roots will make them unstable. You can remove those roots that are above ground though.

They are far to close to the house, the longer they remain the more likely damage to your home will occur.

Do you mean remove the big one close to the corner of the house? That one really has to go. I'm sort of banking that the tree will have enough stability with all it's other roots. :)

Hugh

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are close to your house, they are causing a problem, if they become unstable they could damage the house. Get an Aroboriculturist in, ask their opinion and then take their advice. If the trees were not near the house I would say give it go and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean remove the big one close to the corner of the house? That one really has to go. I'm sort of banking that the tree will have enough stability with all it's other roots. :)

Hugh

No, just the finer roots that are running over ground. If you remove that large root the tree is likely to become unstable, particularly in windy weather. I agree with Nigel, you should seek help from an arboriculturist.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I say "remove root" I'm not taking about at the tree, but rather cutting it back where it meeds the house, or at least a couple of feet back.

Still an issue?

Hugh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure where it goes, I'm guessing I would need to be digging down to discover exactly how far it has went. But if it hasn't entered the wall, I would like to stop it now.

That corner is where the sump pump is, and that's maybe 8 feet below ground level.

The root is probably 1.5 inches in diameter.

Hugh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
At 1.5 inches you will probably get away with cutting through it. I suggest cutting through it about 2ft away from the wall but leaving the root in place. The piece that's severed will die and rot down naturally.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should be able to cut one major root per year. The smaller roots shouldn’t be a problem though.

Thank you, good to know.

They are close to your house, they are causing a problem, if they become unstable they could damage the house. Get an Aroboriculturist in, ask their opinion and then take their advice. If the trees were not near the house I would say give it go and see what happens.

Thank you, great info.

Ask a Question