Baked lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have some areas in my lawn which get more daily sun than the rest, and I'm really having trouble maintaining the grass in these areas. It looks like about half the grass is dying from the ground up, so the areas look brownish, but not completely dead.

I live in Colorado, so sprinklers are required. I have tried increasing the timing on the sprinklers, and now I have mushrooms growing in these brown patches. Maybe its not a water issue?

I have looked for grubs, digging up sod in areas and checking out the roots. Never found anything. I put down and insect and grub killer in April, just in case, but that has not had any noticeable affect on the grass.

I put down weed&feed in May. I use a handheld spreader, but I am careful to spread it evenly. The fertilizer has never appeared to make any difference in these areas over the years, although overall it does help the yard grow thicker.

I tried using some Miracle Grow lawn-care stuff at the beginning of June, the kind that you hook up to the garden hose to spray onto the lawn. Maybe that's what made the mushrooms grow in the sunniest parts of my yard.

I thought I would try something new this week, so I picked up some iron supplement. The bag says it is for yellow lawns, but I don't know what else to try. The grass that grows here has a healthy green color to it, similar to the rest of the lawn. Perhaps the iron will help?

I missed the guy doing lawn aeration this year, but it has been done in previous years. I also have seen a good supply of nightcrawlers any time I have dug into the yard, so the soil conditions should be fairly decent. I've been working this lawn since 1999, and most of it it doing better than when I bought the house, but these patches are just driving me nuts...

What else should I check?

Ask a Question