Australian Open Tennis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I record it on two Eurosport Channels and watch some of this. There's probably 24 hours of more of it, covering several courts.
This is the first "grand slam" here, where line judges are not used and a computer system is used to replace them. The chair umpire is still used, obviously. The first was "Hawkeye" but this one I believe is provided by Rolex.
The players cannot challenge the decisions, when, "computer says, out!" but can ask to see one and it comes up on the big screen. It's "never wrong" so this doesn't happen very often.
I was amused when one of the commentators mentioned that Serena Williams has "welcomed it."
Yeah!
Her PR people probably told her to say that. But it won't erase the memories of previous occasions, when she's threatened to kill a line judge and another where she called the umpire "a cheat," because decisions went against her. She'd look daft harranguing a computer.
Fashions constantly change in women's tennis apparel. The latest "Melbourne Collection" from Nike includes a skirt where the hem is cut on the diagonal. Mid thigh on the right and just above the cuff of regular knickers on the left-hand side, or to expose the Nike "swoosh" on them on longer leg ones. This presumably to facilitate stuffing a second ball up the side of them into an inverted pocket more easily. There you go, no change out of £60.

www.nike.com/gb/t/nikecourt-slam-tennis-skirt-8x1nwW/CV4829-100

I can never understand the willingness of professional female players to play long rallies with a second ball stuffed up their knickers. OK fine, if you're playing club tennis, but at these tournements, there's constantly two ballboy/girls within feet of them between serves, with usually another ball in each hand, making the practice entirely unnecessary. It's as quick to accept a ball for one of them, as for them to fish around in their underwear for another.

Ask a Question