Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I thought I'd like to share my lovely Australian Native Hibiscus with you all. The bush can get quite leggy but I have cut back this one regularly and will do so a again after flowering. The flowers are so pretty and unique. If the wind catches the flowers one particular angle the petals spin around like one of those wind toys on a stick. I love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's so beautiful!!!:D I love the color of those flowers. I'd like to see them spin around:) To be honest, I think it's one of the prettiest plants I've ever seen:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
So glad you have enjoyed looking at the native hibiscus Claudine. Makes me happy I put it up. :) I will try to catch it spinning on video but I have tried to post a video on this forum and didn't manage but I'll try again. Mind you, the wind has to catch it at a particular angle.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I loved that you said the petals spin like a toy on a stick - what a neat plant to be in your yard!

I'm imagining since it's a native it grows pretty well. I need to look more into what natives are available here that would be conducive with the soil and seasons. Right now with flowers here I have just been planting seasonals but I would like something a bit more hardy!

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous! I had never seen a purple hibiscus, hehehe had to be an Australian native, a lot awesome things exists over there :) Do the flowers of this one last very long, or do they die after one day? I ask because the flowers of my hibiscus did exactly that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Absolutely gorgeous! I had never seen a purple hibiscus, hehehe had to be an Australian native, a lot awesome things exists over there :) Do the flowers of this one last very long, or do they die after one day? I ask because the flowers of my hibiscus did exactly that.
It's not actually a dinky die hibiscus so is more hardy here. How's that for an australianism. I'll check how long each flower lasts. I know the bush keeps on flowering though so it gives a pretty constant display. I do enjoy it very much. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I loved that you said the petals spin like a toy on a stick - what a neat plant to be in your yard!

I'm imagining since it's a native it grows pretty well. I need to look more into what natives are available here that would be conducive with the soil and seasons. Right now with flowers here I have just been planting seasonals but I would like something a bit more hardy!
It does grow well Amelia but beings native doesn't always work for me. I've tried to grow Kangaroo Paw and I don't think you can get more Aussie than that and they die. Each item I say it's the last time ...until I see another one I can't resist and then that's the last time I try:confused:. Last year I fell in love with lime green and black one and cuddled all the way through the nursery. Its gone :(. I'm now trying again in pots as apparently they must have good drainage. Fingers crossedo_O

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Catchy name hey Sheal.;)Haemodoraceae is apparently the botanical name for Kangaroo Paw. They have claw like flowers that open from furry buds. There are now lots of varieties but not so hardy, not for me any way. I'm trying again now with them in 2 pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your flowers are beautiful. I love how vibrant the purple is, especially and a nice sunny day. It is a shame that the weather is getting cooler and all of the pretty flowers that bring color and wonder to our lives will be dying off until next spring. I guess the anticipation is what makes the warm months so special though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your flowers are beautiful. I love how vibrant the purple is, especially and a nice sunny day. It is a shame that the weather is getting cooler and all of the pretty flowers that bring color and wonder to our lives will be dying off until next spring. I guess the anticipation is what makes the warm months so special though.
Here in Australia we are headed into the warm weather so I can enjoy my flowers for quite a while. Spring is a very vibrant time and I will make the most of ir as summer does get a bit too hot to garden a great deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ann

Latest Threads