Austin roses scent?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm living in the Highlands of Scotland Sheila and my rose scent is no less than when I lived 300 miles further south. Roses on the whole are pretty tough and I don't think climate will affect the scent.
I don't seem to have a problem smelling things I don't want to smell, so I might be right when I say I think sometimes the tags put on these roses are not always shall we say, accurate... it will be interesting to see how Charles and Charlotte do in next year's season, perhaps the fact that they were both planted this year is holding them back... have never experienced that before, though, and I've been a rose lover and grower for many years now...Thanks again Sheal...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Did you purchase your Austin roses directly from a nursery? Or did you order them by mail from a company?
So sorry. What matters here. Austin roses are just that. Here the name of the game is. Austins. IMHO world wide renoun but. What are you paying for. The rose. or the producer. Austin roses in my opinion. far too pricy.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So sorry. What matters here. Austin roses are just that. Here the name of the game is. Austins. IMHO world wide renoun but. What are you paying for. The rose. or the producer. Austin roses in my opinion. far too pricy.
From this entire experience, I have learned to never again assume that it has to be Austin for me, I have long admired the Kordes roses but so many do not have wonderful scent, however, good old Sunsprite is still reliable and beautiful. Here both have about the same price except that I paid a ridiculous price early in the season for Eglantyne but that is one rose which has been wonderful for me so I paid it because it was the last one that particular store had, and she was wonderfully healthy still, I paid $55.00 Canadian for her, but usually I pay around $39.00 for either Kordes or Austins. In spring I'll post pictures to show them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
strange, I replied to this yesterday but my reply is not here, I must have said something wrong? Blanc is considered a downright great rose by one of our local rosarians, but I believe she only blooms once a season? I might be wrong in that... I somehow am not very attracted to the whites... wish I had a lovely large rose area like I had a few times in my life, here I have not got that, so have to be pretty much attracted to what I buy. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Saw your post- I have 2 large Blanc- they bloom all season. I cut them back after each bloom and they just send out more buds.
thanks, I had thought they were once blooming, and yes, Blanc seems to be a highly respected rose... is there a good, strong scent? Do you find it's pure white or is there a blush of pink at all?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mine is pure white and a very strong scent. Still blooming strong here and we have had night temps in 40s
okay, thanks again, good to know... I will certainly keep that in mind, if Charlotte does not perform well this coming season, or if the "old mystery red" that I left there, ( no scent but otherwise gorgeous form of flower and deep lovely red, and very strong shrub) gets too unruly or does not perform, I may well consider Blanc as a replacement for either of them... I have only heard good about her.

Ask a Question