Asparagus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So after a GREAT dinner with asparagus, the next day while shopping we ended up with 20 asparagus bulbs. I have no idea how to grow this stuff. It's a little late in the season, but then we do have a long season, so am I good to plant this now? I expect no harvest until next year. How much room and how deep do they need to go?

I'm not even sure I have space for them! I am planning to expand the garden, but I won't get to that for a few months. Can they be planted in large pots and transplanted later?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think he meant crown.

You could have a look at these materials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_20200520_070312873.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can plant them now although it would have been a better time a couple of months ago. Get your bed ready first but before you plant the crowns soak them in water with a little liquid seaweed for a couple of hours. The most important thing is having a first class bed, LOTS and LOTS of organic material. AND KEEP THEM MOIST. And don't count on harvesting any next year. You can probably harvest a few in two years.

Ask a Question