Asparagus harvest in the fall ? ?

BJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a new bed of asparagus this past spring. All are looking very well, with tall heavy top growth. They are continuing to send up new growth, with a lot of new sprouts continuing even now. Weather man says below freezing next week. As I understand, this will end this seasons growth. If I harvest some of the new growth a couple days before the freeze, will this harm the plant in any way? -------- I plan on waiting a few days after the freeze, expecting the plants to die back, and then cut off the growth just above the ground. Then I will cover the entire bed with grass clippings and straw, a couple of inches. Is this the correct treatment for them? TNX

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted a new bed of asparagus this past spring. All are looking very well, with tall heavy top growth. They are continuing to send up new growth, with a lot of new sprouts continuing even now. Weather man says below freezing next week. As I understand, this will end this seasons growth. If I harvest some of the new growth a couple days before the freeze, will this harm the plant in any way? -------- I plan on waiting a few days after the freeze, expecting the plants to die back, and then cut off the growth just above the ground. Then I will cover the entire bed with grass clippings and straw, a couple of inches. Is this the correct treatment for them? TNX
Asparagus should be harvested a minimum of 2 years after planting. Let them grow until they are killed by the cold and then clean up the bed. Spring is when you harvest asparagus, not in the fall or even summer. Those shoots that are coming up now will produce next spring.

Ask a Question