How long can asparagus crowns wait to be planted?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm a new relatively new gardener and first time poster. I sent away for 50 asparagus crowns. The person making the raised beds said they'd be ready when the crowns got here. I got the crowns 7 days ago and the bed still isn't ready. Maybe today. So I'm a nervous new parent bc I heard you should plant them as soon as you get them. They are 2 and 3 year old crowns. Does anyone know if we've passed the time they can be planted? Any way I can tell by looking at them? I did put them in a big pot filled w/ soil in the basement 2 days ago. Thanks so much for any thoughts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I'm a new relatively new gardener and first time poster. I sent away for 50 asparagus crowns. The person making the raised beds said they'd be ready when the crowns got here. I got the crowns 7 days ago and the bed still isn't ready. Maybe today. So I'm a nervous new parent bc I heard you should plant them as soon as you get them. They are 2 and 3 year old crowns. Does anyone know if we've passed the time they can be planted? Any way I can tell by looking at them? I did put them in a big pot filled w/ soil in the basement 2 days ago. Thanks so much for any thoughts.
If you put the crowns in moist soil in a cool place they will store for a FEW days, not long. We need to know where you are located before we can tell you if it is too late to plant them. Here in Texas it is way too late. Please update your profile to let us know where you are located so the next time you have a question we will be better able to answer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
And ugh. For the first 4 days they were just in the bag they came in. Then I put them in a bowl w/ soil but not moist soil so I don't know if I just killed them doing that.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Give them a water, they've got 2 choices (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I bought 2 yea crowns last year online. they came and of course I couldn't get them in the ground for 1 reason or the other for 21 days. the seller told me to leave them in the container they came in and put in fridge. they lasted and 22 out of 24 produced this year

Ask a Question