Asparagus crown depth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello, I have recently switched some of my older wooden raised beds to metal beds. They are deeper and will affect my perennial asparagus bed. I’m not sure if I can cover the crowns up an additional 8 to 10 inches from where they already are and have been growing for several years, or if I have to dig them all up to move them up higher in the soil. My concern is that they’re just now coming up and I don’t want to lose this year’s crop . I know some things like tomatoes can be planted several inches deeper when you are transplanting them. I was hoping with how huge asparagus plants get that they could take an extra 8 inches or so of dirt on top.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
This might work although I would add just enough soil, an inch at a time above the emerging spears & see how high they will travel. If it doesn't work I would wait until late winter 2024 to dig out the crowns and move them higher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmmm, we shall have to see how this works out. I did put some more soil down on it this past weekend. I tried to dig some out to move them higher first, but there was just no getting those crowns out. I was hacking at them so viciously I thought it would end up killing them anyway, so I thought I would give this a try first. I will keep you updated.

Ask a Question