3 Year Old Asparagus Crowns?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I read a couple of reviews that said, "DO NOT BUY 3 YR OLD CROWNS!" But they never said why.
Anyone have info/thoughts on this?
TIA,
Mick

Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They probably want you to buy something else :rolleyes:

See no reason you shouldn't :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mick, it is better to buy and plant younger crowns - I would go for 1 year old. because you gain nothing from trying to get older ones to establish, so buying them is a bit of a false economy.
The same sort of thing applies to any transplanted item really. Young plants establish quickly, and the results, although having to wait a while are so much better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought 3 year old crowns because I told my wife, "I don't want to be dead when they're ready to pick!" That was 9 years ago. lol!
(was able to pick that year)
I want to plant some more but I see this "don't buy..."
Who knows? Maybe I will live to pick from 1 yr old crowns!!! lol!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always think it`s best to learn by simply trying things out (sometimes called mistakes) nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Some years ago I planted a little stick - it had a label on it which said Davidii. I decided to plant it, but thought that I would be long dead before the handkerchiefs appeared on the tree. It has been producing the lovely white bracts now for the past 3 or 4 years, and I`m starting to wonder what I`m still doing here :happy:

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I did 2 year old crowns 4 or 5 years ago. just fertilize hard a few times a year (Spring and fall), be careful about how much you eat the 1st few years and then enjoy. this year we had 42 dinners out of our bed . basically asparagus every other night mid March till now.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question