As crazy as this weather's been...

Reaction score
I'm wondering what kind of growing season it's going to be. We've gone from 40 below freezing to early spring temperatures in the course of just a few days. Now we are having flood warnings because all the snow melted so fast. Soon it will be snowing again. It all leaves me confused about what's in store for us this spring. I guess I will carry on as usual and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Woah... it really sounds like the weather over there is getting really crazy! I feel so sorry for all of you guys, all those sudden changes sound so odd! Truly crazy! I hope it doesn't snow over there again. Best of luck! I bet next season will be quite strange! Let's hope you guys have a real summer and spring.

Reaction score
We are having the same crazy weather here in the Northeast. Last week, it was well below zero. Yesterday, the thermometer hit 52 degrees. Now it's back done in the 30s again.
It's hard to tell how all of these roller coaster temperature changes will affect the growing season. The important thing is not to have a prolonged warm period or else the spring flowers start growing too early. One day in which temperatures shoot up way below should be OK and should not affect the growing season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All plants in my garden seem to be very confused. I'm pretty sure they think that it's spring already. It was so warm lately! I really liked it:) Unfortunately, today it was freezing. I heard that it will start snowing soon:( Let's hope it won't!

Reaction score
We have had crazy weather for the past couple of years. It has stayed really cold for a long time and then it suddenly gets ridiculously hot all at once. We haven't had a spring. This has been really hard on my plants and I hear that we are going to have another hot summer this year.

Reaction score
Same here. Yesterday I had to take off my sweater and just wear my tank top. It was pretty warm. Last week was freezing, today is rainy, and the forecast said snow flurries soon. Sometimes I think Mother Nature is bipolar. She is really all over the place! Now, I'm not even sure when I should start my seeds indoors.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree this weather is strange. We were covered in snow a little over a week ago. While out walking on Sunday I say a tree with spuds on it. I could not believe it, it has been getting down to the low 30's in this area so why that tree has new growth I don't understand.

Reaction score
We are having another arctic weather event here. Yesterday it was -11F/-25C with a windchill of -25 F/-32 C. Today is a little better. It's 8:30 in the morning here and the temperature is a much warmer 0 F/-18 C. Last winter, though, was too mild and it seemed that all the local farms and gardeners had a lot of problems. Instead of having a slow snow melt, we had tons of rain and no one could plant anything. Then it seemed to go from winter right into summer and then back again to winter. It was all mixed up.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is still frozen in my area, a whole 16 degrees outside. This is the coldest it has been in years in this area. We have not seen a lot of snow but it still more than what we normally get and staying here. Normally if it snows it will be melted within 3 days, well we still have the frozen snow on the ground.

As cold as it is I have seen a red robin and a blue jay in the area, what's that about?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It was freezing here, in Poland, for almost a week, but now, it's a little warmer again:D Today, it's 4c, which is great. As far as I remember, last year it was -15c in January:eek: I love this new weather! It feels like spring.
Mariam, I totally agree, Mother Nature seems to be bipolar!:p

Ask a Question