JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't often talk about racing here on the forum, as I have a feeling it interests very few people here, but it happens to be my favorite sport. I watch a lot of it. NASCAR tops the list, but I also watch the majority of Indycar, Formula 1, IMSA, NHRA, Rallycross, and others. Racing is the ultimate sport. Getting from point A to point B faster than anyone else was likely the first sport to ever exist, and while it's not as simple as its origins, it still has the same goal, whether on foot, swimming, or in a car.

I thought I'd share a couple of videos, because you don't have to like racing to get a kick out of this finish. Skip ahead to 1:00 in to see the race for the win at the end of the final lap.

As you can see, Second place tried to find away around first place on the final turn, but entered the turn too quickly, locked the brakes, and ultimately spun out. He then ended up spinning out the leader. The guy in third passed them both and won. :ROFLMAO:

To make things even more interesting, you can click to 0:30 in this video below to see the green car, which was pretty much destroyed. He needed to pass just one more car or he'd be out of the championship. He got that miracle when the pink car stalled just feet away from the finish line.

It was a pretty wild finish. Hope you enjoyed.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very dangerously close and thank heavens nobody was injured!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for adding the video.

It's a lifetime ago I used to attend motorcycle races watching the likes of Bill Ivy; Phil Read;Giacomo Agostini; Mike Hailwood etc. Mick Grant used to live very near me and he took my BMW for a spin; Mick's workshop was in the village and when he fired his bike up it could be heard for miles around; I can still smell Castrol R?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I enjoy (well, watch with my husband) Formula 1. Lewis Hamilton will undoubtedly be named premier driver, but I like Kiki (can't spell his last name). I always root for Ferrari team--their pit stops are formidable!
There is a F1 race in Austin, and hotels, B&Bs, anything for rent within a 50 mile radius is booked months in advance.
Can't get interested in Nascar. I guess it's the "good 'ol boy" image that puts me off. Also, the announcers don't seem to know there is a microphone in front of them. They constantly yell. Dogs howl all the way to Minnesota!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very dangerously close and thank heavens nobody was injured!

Thankfully the safety technology has come so far that significant injuries are becoming a very rare thing in NASCAR. There have been some pretty horrific-looking crashes in the past decade where the drivers are thankfully able to walk away.

This is one I always think about, because I went from thinking my favorite driver was about to win, to wondering if he was alive. As you'll see, once he climbs out, he decides to finish the race.

Similar to the last one, the car slams into the fence and gets completely destroyed. I remember this one because it went from being so loud to so quiet in an instant.

I'll always remember this one as well, and it wasn't even during a race, it was during qualifying.

You can see another angle of it here as it was shown live on air. Skip ahead to 0:45

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can't get interested in Nascar. I guess it's the "good 'ol boy" image that puts me off.

That stereotype has faded away, especially with so many new drivers, its like a new sport. Although, a watermelon farmer just won a couple weeks ago, so I guess that doesn't help break the stereotype :ROFLMAO: And Darrell Wallace Jr. does go by the name "Bubba", so there's that. :LOL:

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I enjoy (well, watch with my husband) Formula 1. Lewis Hamilton will undoubtedly be named premier driver, but I like Kiki (can't spell his last name). I always root for Ferrari team--their pit stops are formidable!
There is a F1 race in Austin, and hotels, B&Bs, anything for rent within a 50 mile radius is booked months in advance.
Can't get interested in Nascar. I guess it's the "good 'ol boy" image that puts me off. Also, the announcers don't seem to know there is a microphone in front of them. They constantly yell. Dogs howl all the way to Minnesota!

Hamilton has done very well. Life can't be easy for him as he not entirely white. He was very gracious when he offered Bottas to stand on the number one spot as Bottas was told to let Hamilton pass, which he did. He even tried to give the cup to Bottas to hold. At least, he acknowledged Bottas' sacrifice! Can't abide by watching F1 though. Hours of engine noise - enough to drive this insane woman even madder!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bottas was told to let Hamilton pass, which he did.

That's one of the most frustrating things for me that I've seen happen so many times. Teammates sacrificing their own position to help a teammate, due to team orders. That shouldn't be allowed. I've seen this happen in F1 many times as well as in NASCAR.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nascar like the NFL is very good at the self inflicted wounds. Use to follow both. Like the growing numbers of former fans, Sunday is for something else now.

Not for me, I love both watch them every week, though I hate when they overlap.

Although NASCAR's announcement about next year is concerning.

Ask a Question