Are you planting a FALL garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In case you are wondering... notice the left side (with cage) rows are in a different orientation than this new section next to it. I started watching vids on "electroculture" and hearing its important to plant your rows in North/South direction and bury a metal wire with the magnets on the south side of that wire. So I did this new section in N/S direction and buried my wire...and now plants are planted over the wire... so we shall see. (Note...I also wear my tin foil hat as I am planting). :) kidding.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spinach is difficult to grow, almost impossible, for about 9 months of the year here. That is why I switched to Malabar Spinach. I've found that the mildest lasting leaves are the youngest, not surprisingly. We are absolutely loving the Malabar this fall and picking almost every day.

I've had pretty good luck with Romaine in the past and have it planted again this year. Also, I'm trying several different varieties of lettuce this fall in HK containers (see list above) and hoping to find one or more that tolerates my 8b climate.

As for potatoes, I had also given up on whites mainly because of low production. I produce a minimum of 10 pounds of new red potato per one pound of seed potato, but the whites often only produce 2 pounds per or less and just not worth the effort.

I found some white seed potatoes this year on Amazon surprisingly while searching for white sweet potatoes and they arrived in excellent shape...so one more time to give the Yukon gold another try.

White sweet potatoes are easy to grow in TN they love our hot 100 degree dry summer weather they like full sun all day. I rake the vines in a circle around the plant and force it to stay in an 8 ft circle. I usually get 15 to 25 lbs from each plant and 20 lbs is very typical from each plant. 4 or 5 plants gives us 100 lbs of white sweet potatoes. Young leaves are good to eat like spinach & lettuce.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Walmart hard neck garlic has been in refrigerator 2 months they are ready to be planted Sept 1st.

There are several volunteer potatoes coming up from the potatoes rows I dug up in June. Lost marble size potatoes are growing plants, I transplant them to rows.

I have, 30 broccoli, 30 cauliflower, 5 cabbage, seeds growing ready to transplant Sept 1st.

I have 500 carrots seeds sprouting in a jar of water inside the house. They need to be planted Sept 1st.

Our first frost is about Nov 4th. We often have 60°F to 50° weather during the day in Nov & Dec and freezing temperatures after dark.
Hello where do you live? I'm interested I'm in Washington. Thx

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question