Dwarf Mondo Planting in fall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I plant dwarf mondo grass to fill flagstone seams in late September in zone 7b, or should I wait until spring? If ok in late September, can I get away with planting pips (more cost effective), or should I go with a fully-rooted plug that comes in cell packs? Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not sure what a pip is (Amerocan here) but i dig it up with a shovel, separate the individual bulbs within sanity and plant them in a prepared substrate. And now is a great time, they have just stopped suffering in the heat. Your problem will be the work of watering. Its the time of seeds now which is a dry time. That will change toward the end of of November as the rains return here, not sure of your climate data. I will also use a coring or plugging tool, but on small mondo I think it very effecient to use individual plants because over the years the plugs will become the root bound spot that needs replacement first. Separate plants fill in longer before needing attention here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dwarf Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus) should be fine to plant in your area in the Fall. The should be watered regularly. Do irrigate if rain is insufficient.

In this case, the term 'pips' refers to unplanted offsets often sold in a bundle. They would be fine to plant, but only if they are still fresh and turgid. Don't buy pips (or any plants) with withered foliage or desiccated roots. Another option to look for is Dwarf Mondo Grass sold in full flats, In that case you would basically separate fresh plugs or pips yourself for immediate planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, all, for the responses. Will plant in fall. Lots of places to mail order but I think the plan will be to go to Home Depot, buy the 3-1/4" cell packs, divide them into 4ish plantlets each, then plant about 2" apart. Kind of like the guy in this video is doing. Seems like the most cost effective solution and hopefully will start spreading in the spring. Should I fertilize after I plant, or just make sure they stay moist for the next month or so and start to fertilize in spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
B22BE7E8-F37C-438A-BF34-1A20ED7EC3CD.jpeg
FE42252E-DBD4-4CA9-BFC5-F98DFB23D512.jpeg
F3F44FD9-F248-4FB1-9171-BE6712BF0C4A.jpeg

The first pic has been growing about 7 weeks

The 2nd 9 months

The 3rd mother patch a long time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When I think of dwarf mondo I think of the really short stuff like on our stone path. I guess we have regular mondo too the pic at the lightpole. And some proper liriope here and there. And leaves. And weeds.
PXL_20210916_225716850_resize_96.jpg
PXL_20210916_225735739_resize_43.jpg
PXL_20210916_225752512_resize_0.jpg
PXL_20210916_225627636_resize_98.jpg
PXL_20210916_225633821_resize_71.jpg
PXL_20210916_225646357_resize_93.jpg
PXL_20210916_225702105_resize_42.jpg

@DrCase do I need to Roll Tide! on that Arkansas Razorback I see in your pic or is that just pretty yard art?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The smaller forms of Mondo Grass are sometimes called Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nana', but they are all the same species. The largest forms of Mondo Grass can look similar to Creeping Lily Turf (Liriope spicata), but usually the leaves are somewhat narrower.

My favourite is Black Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'), even the berries are black, instead of blue. It is a slower grower, often grown in containers, but I have seen in-ground plantings several feet wide. Fun fact: Ophiopogon means 'snake grass' in Greek.

@DirtMechanic: Are those photos of a public garden or your private domain? It looks quite spacious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The smaller forms of Mondo Grass are sometimes called Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nana', but they are all the same species. The largest forms of Mondo Grass can look similar to Creeping Lily Turf (Liriope spicata), but usually the leaves are somewhat narrower.

My favourite is Black Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'), even the berries are black, instead of blue. It is a slower grower, often grown in containers, but I have seen in-ground plantings several feet wide. Fun fact: Ophiopogon means 'snake grass' in Greek.

@DirtMechanic: Are those photos of a public garden or your private domain? It looks quite spacious.
Me Casa.

Ask a Question