Are these mushrooms safe to eat?


Joined
Aug 23, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Country
United States
I have a bunch of mushrooms popping up (So.California) and was wondering if they're safe to pick and eat???

20200819_092214.jpg
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Mar 8, 2015
Messages
285
Reaction score
252
Location
Mechanicsville, Maryland
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would not eat any mushrooms growing in your yard. Unless you are an expert on them, they could be very deadly. IMO- not worth the risk.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Country
United Kingdom
You can eat mushrooms that grow anywhere but you must be certain of what you are eating. Your life depends on it.
 
Ad

Advertisements

alp

Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
14,852
Reaction score
14,461
Location
Essex
Showcase(s):
3
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It would be helpful if you photographed the end bit of the mushroom inside the soil. If it's bulbous, stay clear. Also, you need to photograph the gill and the apron.

On the whole, don't risk it as this mushroom is not distinctive enough. If it were amythist deceiver, it would be easy to identify. You could google youtube to find out more. Eating mushrooms in the wild could end in multiple organ failure. I remember this news story in which an aunt (probably a Thai woman or someone from that part of the world) ate a wild mushroom and soon after that she died from multiple-organ failure (how painful that must have been). After the inquest, her husband and her niece who went on the trip were holding hands ... Umm..
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top