Are these eggs under the leaves of my new Cissus Discolour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The eggs, which are translucent and have a spherical shape, look like tiny water droplets against the leaves. As the spider mites develop inside the casing, the eggs transition from being translucent to having a cream color.

The above is a description of spider mite eggs I found and copied.

I have also been considering insect and/or mite galls, as it seems that you are unable to shift these from the leaves....... I`ll stick my glasses on...........:geek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look what else I found ......................... The little lumps on your Cissus discolor can be insect or mite galls; which can be treated with a soap/water mixture. It can also be a fungus infection that can be treated with a fungicide or it can be edema which is a plant disorder that can be treated by giving the plant less water and the right kind of fertilizer.

This is an interesting plant - one I didn`t know, and it seems it is one of the Begonia rex family :)

The Begonia family is not difficult to propagate, so if you work on it you could have a whole bunch of these - one in every corner !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The eggs, which are translucent and have a spherical shape, look like tiny water droplets against the leaves. As the spider mites develop inside the casing, the eggs transition from being translucent to having a cream color.

The above is a description of spider mite eggs I found and copied.

I have also been considering insect and/or mite galls, as it seems that you are unable to shift these from the leaves....... I`ll stick my glasses on...........:geek:

Haha! It’s a conundrum for sure. They haven’t turned cream - they look like strawberry seeds. They seem so apart of the plant. I’ve taken one of the leaves and put it in a jar to see if anything hatches. Oh how much fun Thank you for your support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look what else I found ......................... The little lumps on your Cissus discolor can be insect or mite galls; which can be treated with a soap/water mixture. It can also be a fungus infection that can be treated with a fungicide or it can be edema which is a plant disorder that can be treated by giving the plant less water and the right kind of fertilizer.

This is an interesting plant - one I didn`t know, and it seems it is one of the Begonia rex family :)

The Begonia family is not difficult to propagate, so if you work on it you could have a whole bunch of these - one in every corner !!

Interesting - when I looked at galls it didn’t seem it looked liked that but I know things vary on each plant. Interesting fact though, it’s not actually from the Bergonia family but has its name from their, it’s from the Grape family - that’s my one and only bit of knowledge haha! I hope I can make it live and very happy - it’s so pretty. I’ve never done any propagation- I’m new to plant life - only been a year but I love it- bar weird seed diseases :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1612956307153.png
Cor, impressive! I reckon we`ll have to sort it out, get some cuttings on the go, and you can send me one if you like. It really is a subject we can never know everything about (although there are always those egg heads that do) I don`t grow many house plants - most of my gardening is done outside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 75554 Cor, impressive! I reckon we`ll have to sort it out, get some cuttings on the go, and you can send me one if you like. It really is a subject we can never know everything about (although there are always those egg heads that do) I don`t grow many house plants - most of my gardening is done outside.

Wow- a beautiful pic! I’d love it if my one would turn out like that! I’d absolutely send you a cutting. I’d learn how to do it first - obvs I have not even started outside - I feel more comfortable with them indoors I’m envious of people with that outdoors green thumb so kudos to you ☺️

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It`s not difficult. The best time for cuttings will be in the spring...... that`s soon :joyful:
Cut off a long piece, starting from the bottom cut the stem just under a node (the bump where the leaf grows) and remove the leaves. Count two leaves up the stem and cut again, a sharp razor blade or craft knife will do the job. Make as many cuttings as possible and poke them round the edge of a pot in nice damp compost. Stick them on the window sill and keep them damp.
I actually spent years in a wholesale nursery propagating shrubs and climbers, but don`t tell anybody.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It`s not difficult. The best time for cuttings will be in the spring...... that`s soon :joyful:
Cut off a long piece, starting from the bottom cut the stem just under a node (the bump where the leaf grows) and remove the leaves. Count two leaves up the stem and cut again, a sharp razor blade or craft knife will do the job. Make as many cuttings as possible and poke them round the edge of a pot in nice damp compost. Stick them on the window sill and keep them damp.
I actually spent years in a wholesale nursery propagating shrubs and climbers, but don`t tell anybody.
Your secret is safe with me haha! Thank you! I’ll no doubt pick your brain when it comes to it! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning! I know this is an old post but I’m hoping you’ll get a notification. I have this exact same thing happening on my cissus discolor. I’ve isolated it, showered and neemed - but I just wanted to follow up and see if you ever figured out what it was, and if neem helped? Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)
Good morning! I know this is an old post but I’m hoping you’ll get a notification. I have this exact same thing happening on my cissus discolor. I’ve isolated it, showered and neemed - but I just wanted to follow up and see if you ever figured out what it was, and if neem helped? Thank you!

Hiya! I think it was some kind of insect thing tbh - still unclear on what though - mine just didn’t get any better sadly, I gave up. I gave it to my gardener mate to see if she could heal it, but alas it was not happy and just died :/ I hope yours sees itself it’s right! All the best

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another possibility is that the leaf bumps are a form of oedema, a somewhat vaguely understood physical condition in which plant cells overfill with water and burst, creating various types of bumps and blisters on a plant. Oedema may be caused by a sudden change in light, temperature or humidity.

Painted Cissus (Cissus discolor) is a beautiful vine in the Grape Family (Vitaceae), native to tropical Asia and the Philippines. It is also call Rex Begonia Vine because the leaves do resemble those of some Begonia cultivars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since yours has the same problem and spider mite eggs are microscopic, it is more likely an oedema issue. They must have very bright light and prefer high humidity. Not the easiest plant to keep happy.

Ask a Question