Are these eggs under the leaves of my new Cissus Discolour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I purchased a Cissus from a reputable online seller - it took a while to arrive given the current climate, and was in a mostly sorry state (leaves crispy, dead etc). I noticed it had seed like things underneath some of the bigger leaves. Thought this was normal but comparing to others online I didn’t see the same thing. Googling said these were insect eggs but a couple of posts said they were protein. I went back to the seller who said they could be spider mite eggs. They don’t look like that but I’m so confused and worried it’s going to impact my other plants. Please does anyone know? Cheers, Chandy

Attachments

• CC11E0DA-6BDC-461E-9B24-5E50343D36BC.jpeg
    CC11E0DA-6BDC-461E-9B24-5E50343D36BC.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 919
  • 549DFA15-8053-4F8D-912F-ADBCA23BCA5D.jpeg
    549DFA15-8053-4F8D-912F-ADBCA23BCA5D.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 658
  • ABA71E26-1ADC-456A-842C-071204884DE2.jpeg
    ABA71E26-1ADC-456A-842C-071204884DE2.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 264
  • 25279ACD-73B5-4B7D-91A6-65C198ED7D53.jpeg
    25279ACD-73B5-4B7D-91A6-65C198ED7D53.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello All

I purchased a Cissus from a reputable online seller - it took a while to arrive given the current climate, and was in a mostly sorry state (leaves crispy, dead etc). I noticed it had seed like things underneath some of the bigger leaves. Thought this was normal but comparing to others online I didn’t see the same thing. Googling said these were insect eggs but a couple of posts said they were protein. I went back to the seller who said they could be spider mite eggs. They don’t look like that but I’m so confused and worried it’s going to impact my other plants. Please does anyone know? Cheers, Chandy
I am sure they are spider mite eggs but what ever egg it is Neem Oil will kill them. You must kill them immediately or the hatched mites will spread to every plant you have. And keep a close eye on your plants as the soil may harbor mites too and they will deposit eggs later on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Logan. Quite gutted but I know it happens. Have isolated now and will clean off tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi both just doing some more research, is there a chance this could be Cystoliths? I have still isolated the plant and will be neeming tomorrow but just curious. Cheers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi both just doing some more research, is there a chance this could be Cystoliths? I have still isolated the plant and will be neeming tomorrow but just curious. Cheers
Very doubtful. Cystoliths are outgrowth of the cell walls in a plant and usually are in a more uniform pattern. One way to know for sure though is to rub them. If it comes off it isn't.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @NorthernChandy welcome to the forum :)

Whatever is going on there you should demand a full refund from the company that sold it to you - including the cost of postage.

Thanks Tetters :) Yeah I got a refund - but not for postage as I ordered another plant with it (that one seems okay - fingers crossed!

Thanks Chuck, they don’t come off. I tried squeezing a couple but nothing came out - they are hard - like seeds almost. I have moved “Seedy Cissus” (has a name now) to the bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very doubtful. Cystoliths are outgrowth of the cell walls in a plant and usually are in a more uniform pattern. One way to know for sure though is to rub them. If it comes off it isn't.

Hi Chuck responded below- still getting the hang of how to respond here haha.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn`t accept either plant as spider mite is likely to have made a start on the other one as well - it spreads like covid :grumpy:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grim :/ I couldn’t see anything on it (Chinese money plant) but Isolated that to as just in case, but yeah you’re right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just keep a close eye on all of your plants. Once spider mites get established they are really difficult to eradicate. You might even spray procholacticlly
Thanks Tetters :) Yeah I got a refund - but not for postage as I ordered another plant with it (that one seems okay - fingers crossed!

Thanks Chuck, they don’t come off. I tried squeezing a couple but nothing came out - they are hard - like seeds almost. I have moved “Seedy Cissus” (has a name now) to the bathroom.
It very well could be hard scale and Neem works with them as well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just keep a close eye on all of your plants. Once spider mites get established they are really difficult to eradicate. You might even spray procholacticlly

It very well could be hard scale and Neem works with them as well.
Thank you again, Chuck. I’ll post on here under this post if I rectify the problem :)

Ask a Question