Are the majority of vegetable gardeners men?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
TheCrazyPlantLady, this is exactly what I'm talking about. In my opinion gardens that are a little eclectic are the prettiest, it looks really nice when vegetables grow near herbs and near ornamental flowers. I really like it:) In my dream garden, I'll grow them all!:D

Reaction score
TheCrazyPlantLady, - Ah, the competitive spirit,:D I would definitely agree with that, this is something that always appears, to be very strongly associated with vegetable patches, but also, is in all of us to one degree or another. I would probably fall into this category, but quietly and not for show, as I really enjoy the challenge of growing something slightly different or unusual, and am always aiming to grow the tastiest and most flavorsome fruit and vegetables.
I have however, noticed the strong competition between the male vegetable growers in my area, particularly for size and quantity and they are most certainly, all very loud about it! As for taste, I'm not sure this is a priority in their case, as I have just been on the receiving end, of some prize winning Zucchini, which looked fantastic, but can't tell you what they tasted like, as the skins were so hard, even a chainsaw would have struggled to cut them - haven't had the heart to tell him yet, as he was so proud of them.

Claudine and TheCrazyPlantLady - Personal taste, now this is what I like about gardening. Everybody's garden has a little bit of them in it, what I call the soul of the garden and this is what makes looking, at any type of garden so enjoyable.

Claudine - I don't think I will ever be able to describe tomatoes as pretty, but I do have a confession to make.:) I do have a Rose, covering an unsightly corner of the vegetable patch, it is a Rosa Banksiae - its not a minature, like the ones you like - but it is a Rose. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Although miniature roses are dearest to me, the truth is that I love all roses:D. Rosa Banksiae is gorgeous, I googled it and I saw some pictures of it. I wish I had it in my garden!
Is your rose white or yellow? I'm sure that it looks beautiful!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Gosh, of the 10 people I know who have veggie gardens only two are male (based on friends and the neighborhood garden walk this spring). One is a stay at home dad and the other male is retired. From my experiences for my region (western USA) the only thing the man usually does (if the family has a large garden/yard) is rototill and mow the lawn. Then everything else from planting, weeding, watering,harvest and food prep is left up to a woman. I know that was really true where I grew up in Idaho. No man would be caught in the garden unless it was some super special prize plant they were babying to dhow off. Gardens here are generally a woman's domain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree, it's the same in my area. My mother spends a lot of time in our garden, while my father goes there only when he has to. None of my male friends enjoy gardening. My boyfriend grows chilli peppers, but that's it. On the other hand, I don't know too many women who like taking care of plants either. Maybe it's because I live in a big city though.

Reaction score
I love gardening for fun and I have to grow my own food. I didn't notice that gardenig is more male or female dominated. But, I must say I deal with mosquitos, snakes, wasp, hornet and all the garden haters that effect both men and women. Gardening is rewarding regardless of why you choose it.

Reaction score
Although miniature roses are dearest to me, the truth is that I love all roses:D. Rosa Banksiae is gorgeous, I googled it and I saw some pictures of it. I wish I had it in my garden!
Is your rose white or yellow? I'm sure that it looks beautiful!:D

Agree Claudine, gorgeous is a good description of Rosa Banksiae and this I can definitely describe as pretty :D

My rose seems to be a little out of the ordinary, because the flower color is neither white nor yellow, but a rich creamy yellow color, which in many ways I prefer more, as it always looks very striking at all times of the year. Strangely the slightly unusual flower color, seems to be the case for all the Roses of this variety, that have sprung up in my neighborhood :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Agree Claudine, gorgeous is a good description of Rosa Banksiae and this I can definitely describe as pretty :D

My rose seems to be a little out of the ordinary, because the flower color is neither white nor yellow, but a rich creamy yellow color, which in many ways I prefer more, as it always looks very striking at all times of the year. Strangely the slightly unusual flower color, seems to be the case for all the Roses of this variety, that have sprung up in my neighborhood :)
A rich creamy yellow color sounds even better! I'm sure that it's a stunning plant. Red or pink roses are lovely, but aren't very unique, this is why I prefer different colors. Could you take a few pictures of your rose? I would love to see it! Is it big?

Reaction score
A rich creamy yellow color sounds even better! I'm sure that it's a stunning plant. Red or pink roses are lovely, but aren't very unique, this is why I prefer different colors. Could you take a few pictures of your rose? I would love to see it! Is it big?

Yes it is a lovely plant, am just waiting for it to flower again, which is due around Oct/Nov time, when it does, will take some photos for you:)

You mentioned somewhere else on the Forum, that you put your roses in the attic during the winter.
Just a curio thing as I don't know much about miniature roses, are they more fragile than traditional roses? Cos I'd always thought that roses where quite hardy, and that you could actually be quite brutal with them, am I wrong?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I put my roses in the attic, because they have to go dormant during winter and it would be too warm for them in my room.
In general, I don't think that miniature roses are very fragile. I started growing them when I had no idea about gardening nor anything gardening-related and yet, they're all still alive and blooming:D I've never been brutal with them though:p I just water them, prune them and wash their leaves, that's all.

Reaction score
I bought a small pot of miniature roses last winter. Once they stopped blooming, I discovered there were actually 4 in the pot. I repotted them in separate pots. I pruned one excessively, and it died unfortunately. But the others all flourished, and I planted two outside this spring. The 3rd is still in a pot although I put it out for the summer. The one in the pot is about 3 times the size that it was when I bought it (I've potted it up a couple of times) and the ones in the garden are even larger and bushier. They certainly aren't fragile. The only difference I've found is that they have tiny thorns and unfortunately no scent. I don't know if you can get scented miniature roses or not.

Reaction score
I put my roses in the attic, because they have to go dormant during winter and it would be too warm for them in my room.
In general, I don't think that miniature roses are very fragile. I started growing them when I had no idea about gardening nor anything gardening-related and yet, they're all still alive and blooming:D I've never been brutal with them though:p I just water them, prune them and wash their leaves, that's all.

Was a bit slow here,:) but now I understand, your roses are not outside, but in your room. Am pleased to hear, that they've never suffered any form of brutality from you :D especially as you strike me, as being the gentle sort, that wouldn't be brutal to anything.
What I meant by being brutal, was that, I had always thought that roses of all kinds could withstand extreme cold and severe pruning, which goes to show just how little I know about miniature roses.

The CrazyPlantLady - you also sound to have some beautiful miniature ones as well, and have thanks, more or less answered the bit about pruning miniature roses.

Don't know if you've noticed this as well, but the majority of replies to this thread, have come from females. There are a lot more female vegetable gardeners than I thought, perhaps TheCrazyPlantLady is right, in that, females are just quieter about it.:D Shall have to keep a closer eye on the guys around here, see if they are, actually doing the work themselves, or just talking loudly about it :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Was a bit slow here,:) but now I understand, your roses are not outside, but in your room. Am pleased to hear, that they've never suffered any form of brutality from you :D especially as you strike me, as being the gentle sort, that wouldn't be brutal to anything.
What I meant by being brutal, was that, I had always thought that roses of all kinds could withstand extreme cold and severe pruning, which goes to show just how little I know about miniature roses.
Yup, I grow miniature roses in flowerpots:)
I had pruned one of them severely, fortunately it survived, so I guess they aren't as delicate as they seem to be:)

Reaction score
Yeah, out here it seems to be pretty even between men and women, so I'd say it must be some regional thing.

Mind you, most of the bonsai and orchid fanciers I know are men. But that's anecdotal evidence.

Ask a Question