Are the majority of vegetable gardeners men?

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed, that men always seem to be much more enthusiastic, when discussing all things related to fruit and vegetables compared to ornamental plants.

Have you ever noticed, that allotments seem to tended by more men than women, in fact where I live, a vegetable garden or allotment is regarded as a male status symbol, and women are only worthy of collecting and cooking the produce, and doing the occasional bit of weeding, under supervision !

How many women have you heard say " unless its edible, its not worthy of taking up space in my garden ".
or
Plant lettuces amongst exotic plants.
or
When standing next to a rare and exquisite ornamental plant will say " don't your tomatoes look pretty ", pretty is not a word I would use to describe tomato plants - but there you go.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know a few women who are into vegetable gardening, but that being said I do know far more men who grow their own veg. Maybe it's the hunter / gatherer instinct kicking in?! :D

Reaction score
I know a lot of hard core female vegetable gardeners especially with people now getting into organic fruits and vegetables. I also know alot of men who take credit for the harvest, but I know the wives are out weeding and watering. Guess it all depends how you look at it.

Reaction score
I too, enjoy all types of gardening and grow all the edibles, fruit and vegetables, including doing much of the hard graft in the vegetable garden, apart from the rotavating and the pinching out of tomato plants, which my other half really enjoys doing, and am glad he does, as I just can't manage the rotavator, it always runs away with me, and I hate pinching out tomato plants, and if I'm honest, my real passion is the growing of ornamentals, which is how the observations listed above came about.:)

Am still thinking women are in the minority, when it comes to the growing of edibles, and so far think, that Becky's idea is probably the most feasible, in that, there are more male vegetable gardeners because of the hunter/gather instinct kicking in.:D

Headfullofbees - Haven't found Farming to be outgrowing the hunter/gather instinct in my neck of the woods, and would say, I probably have equal quantities of both.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bloke and i'm mainly veg. But I do grow the odd flower or two. Veg patch is looking a bit of a mess at the moment, as loads of Borage came up between the potatoes, haven't had the heart to clear it even though its going over as the bees are still loving it.

Bees - 6,000 years is too soon to outgrow instinct. Northern Europe still has a diet problem that dates back to the last ice age, 8 to 10 thousand years ago.

We're still programmed to eat fatty foods to survive the cold. People from Southern parts that didn't go thru an ice age don't have the same problems.

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed, that men always seem to be much more enthusiastic, when discussing all things related to fruit and vegetables compared to ornamental plants.

What do you think?
I don't know that I'd agree with you gata, or maybe it's more region specific. My grandmothers, mother, sisters, and nieces all have huge vegetable gardens, and I actually only know one fellow who gardens - a friend at work. I also love my flower garden, but to be quite honest I grew vegetables for years before I really got in to flowers. And I have flowers in my vegetable beds, and vegetables and herbs in my flower beds. And, while my husband appreciates the vegetables and herbs I grow, he's really more interested in the flower beds out front.

We're still programmed to eat fatty foods to survive the cold. People from Southern parts that didn't go thru an ice age don't have the same problems.
Tell me about it, Zigs! I've got eastern European blood on my Dad's side, and as soon as it starts getting cold my body feels the need to store up as much fat as possible for the winter!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm a girl and I love growing vegetables!:D But I must say that I find tomatoes and peas and carrots really pretty, so I feel that they aren't too far away from ornamental plants:)
Also, when I think about it, I must add that I prefer growing my miniature roses. I really love doing it.

Reaction score
TheCrazyPlantLady - am not sure that its region specific, these observations have come from countries around the world, but have to say, there have been a lot more female responses than I expected, perhaps women are just quieter than men, about their gardening activities. :D
I agree with you regarding, flowers in the vegetable patch to a degree, as some are beneficial, and definitely agree with you in terms of herbs in the flower borders, not only for their looks but also for their scent, but still couldn't bring myself to put lettuces with exotic plants.

Claudine - I agree carrot tops can look attractive, but somehow can't manage to call tomatoes or peas pretty, especially when standing next to an exquisite plant.

Zigs - I come from Southern parts, but obviously haven't been programmed correctly and don't eat enough fatty foods, as I feel the cold terribly.
191793001378555514.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine - I agree carrot tops can look attractive, but somehow can't manage to call tomatoes or peas pretty, especially when standing next to an exquisite plant.

I honestly like looking at them for aesthetic reasons:) I don't know, maybe I think that they're so pretty because I love them so much and I can't be objective:p
Anyway,here are some pictures that I found, I hope that you'll change your mind after looking at them:):

tomato-plant.jpg

2195pea__green_sugar_ed.jpg

Reaction score
I honestly like looking at them for aesthetic reasons:) I don't know, maybe I think that they're so pretty because I love them so much and I can't be objective:p
Anyway,here are some pictures that I found, I hope that you'll change your mind after looking at them:):

tomato-plant.jpg

2195pea__green_sugar_ed.jpg

Still not sure that I could describe them as pretty, even though that tomato plant looks particularly attractive in that pot, my best description for that would be ' yummy ':)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I guess we just have to agree to disagree:p But yup, it really does look yummy:D I love everything about tomatoes, I like the way they look, I like their scent and I love eating them!

Reaction score
TheCrazyPlantLady - am not sure that its region specific, these observations have come from countries around the world, but have to say, there have been a lot more female responses than I expected, perhaps women are just quieter than men, about their gardening activities. :D
I agree with you regarding, flowers in the vegetable patch to a degree, as some are beneficial, and definitely agree with you in terms of herbs in the flower borders, not only for their looks but also for their scent, but still couldn't bring myself to put lettuces with exotic plants.

I think maybe, that men tend to be more competitive about their gardening - wanting to grow the biggest, or the rarest, or best tasting - and so they are more visible in their gardening endeavours.

I have to side with Claudine on the looks side. I think many vegetables are beautiful, and what's better, they smell amazing (like tomatoes). I wouldn't necessarily grow tomatoes in my flower beds, but that is more a question of the placement of the beds and what is best for the tomatoes, because I actually love the looks of a garden that is a total mix of flower, vegetable and herb. But I do have herbs, and I'll be planting garlic around my roses this fall, to help keep the pests at bay. And I have many ornamental onions in my flower beds (alliums) and they are among my favourite flowers.

But I think that this is more a personal taste issue. I love pansies, but I don't like lilies. I love sage in my flower bed, but I'd never want a carnation. But for other people, lilies and carnations are their favourite flowers. And a good thing too - that's what makes wandering around the neighbourhood checking out other people's gardens so interesting! :p

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd agree with you gata, or maybe it's more region specific. My grandmothers, mother, sisters, and nieces all have huge vegetable gardens, and I actually only know one fellow who gardens - a friend at work. I also love my flower garden, but to be quite honest I grew vegetables for years before I really got in to flowers. And I have flowers in my vegetable beds, and vegetables and herbs in my flower beds. And, while my husband appreciates the vegetables and herbs I grow, he's really more interested in the flower beds out front.

Tell me about it, Zigs! I've got eastern European blood on my Dad's side, and as soon as it starts getting cold my body feels the need to store up as much fat as possible for the winter!!!
Ah yes...I'm feeling a bit of a chill. Must be time for some bacon n' eggs.;)

Reaction score
My dad loved the idea of being capable to grow his own vegetables, he also loved the idea of keeping only ''useful'' trees in his property. He liked to keep fruit trees mostly, because he really wanted to be able to grow his own fruit. He taught me a lot basics, he always included me in his vegetable gardening projects :) We grew a lot things together!

Ask a Question