anyone grow dragon fruits? (aka pitaya)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
No, but these fruits look incredibly amazing though. Like it came straight from a video game, and you would get additional bonus to your skills if you consume them. Haha, maybe I've been playing games for too long today. But they really look pretty cool though. What's the taste like? I'd be really disappointed if something that looks so good and is named accordingly, tastes so bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your plants look really good. They will need a very large pot if your going to keep them potted. and a post of some kind for them to grow on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Southern Japan (11b)
Country
Japan
Update

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 408
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Southern Japan (11b)
Country
Japan
Your plants look really good. They will need a very large pot if your going to keep them potted. and a post of some kind for them to grow on.
Thanks for letting me know! I have a huge pot sitting outside just for them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Southern Japan (11b)
Country
Japan
No, but these fruits look incredibly amazing though. Like it came straight from a video game, and you would get additional bonus to your skills if you consume them. Haha, maybe I've been playing games for too long today. But they really look pretty cool though. What's the taste like? I'd be really disappointed if something that looks so good and is named accordingly, tastes so bad.
Ohhh dragon fruits taste SOO good. It's my favorite fruit, and my older relatives used to bring them home when I was little and I didn't trust them because they always brought weird food..haha but I tasted one and was sold. It's so good. It feels like an apple when you bite into it or maybe even a pear, and it tastes like a different kind of Apple. Not sure how to explain it especially since I haven't eaten one in forever.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i can find dragon fruits fairly easy so i was going to grow them from seed. apparently, it's not that hard and i've watched different methods of germinating the seeds and they all had nearly 100% germination rate. so it seems beginner friendly, aka me :)
but i can't seem to find a lot of info on them. i saw it takes maybe around 2 years but that was from a wiki page. does anyone have experience with this? thanks in advance :)

p.s. i live in a tropical climate (southern Japan) and we get a lot of rain here. it's always humid and the winters are cold but not too cold.
I’m growing them in Michigan, take outside in summer and inside in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don’t grow it from seed, clone the green top of a dragonfruit variety that you like from the store. This way you’ll get an exact replica of the cultivar that you enjoy instead of taking a gamble on random seed genetics. I can take some photos later if I remember.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I just got some cuttings from a cactus rescue, i've got them in pure grit which I'm watering once a week.

Ask a Question