Any tips on establishing a better soil in my garden?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Funnily enough such test kits are not common in stores where I live (New Zealand) ... the test kits in garden centres are only PH kits.

I think my google algorithm has been messing with me, obviously such kits are common in stores where you are, yet I type up DIY soil test kit and I'm getting PH only kits, those green PH probes, and a coring tool for taking soil plugs to send to a lab.
I'll have another go at it and get one online from overseas.

For PH alone I'm all good, I use an electronic PH meter, dilute soil in distilled water (weighing everything with micro scales) and work it out from there - it's digital and accurate to .01, with no consumables (except a new probe every so often).

I got an aquarium kit for nitrogen to start and balance my bioponics system, it tests separately for the 3 forms of nitrogen Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia. But the ones I'd really like "Phosphate" for instance is $140 for the single bottle which is just a bit much to ask.

I also have test strips that do PH, Iron, copper, lead, nitrate, nitrite.

I'm interested in being able to test for Phosphorous, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium.

I could get a 200g sample of soil tested in a lab for everything including cation exchange, ph, NPK, availability, macro, micro and trace elements all included for only $150 - but that would be only one test, I have a whole small farm to do with at least 2 different soil types, plus the garden, and my potting mixes.

Ask a Question