Cause of tips of zucchini leaves wilting and drying out?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So on a couple of my Fordhook zucchini plants, the tips and edges of several of the younger leaves are wilting and then drying out with the rest of the leaf remaining intact (no further wilting or drying out). Overall the plants seem healthy and haven't stopped producing fruit. Other observations are that some of the younger leaves have a white pattern compared to older leaves. I don't think this is powdery mildew because its only affecting young leaves and I haven't used any chemicals at all in my garden. Could it be some kind of virus or over fertilization?
IMG_9357.JPGIMG_9359.JPGIMG_9386.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it just the new leaves curling and turning brown or is it all of the leaves. Usually if only the new leaves do this it is a nutrient deficiency and if all of the leaves do this it is a watering issue, usually too little water. The white is probably a varietal issue but just to be safe I would spray with baking soda.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!
It just the new/newer leaves. I had a similar thought on the nutrients and gave them a little food yesterday. The bigger leaves don't show any signs of this kind of wilting and in the morning and evening are perky and loving life. I am just worried about viral/bacterial problems because I don't have a lot of experience identifying those kinds of things and I don't want to pull the plant to stop the spread if its not the case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi!
It just the new/newer leaves. I had a similar thought on the nutrients and gave them a little food yesterday. The bigger leaves don't show any signs of this kind of wilting and in the morning and evening are perky and loving life. I am just worried about viral/bacterial problems because I don't have a lot of experience identifying those kinds of things and I don't want to pull the plant to stop the spread if its not the case.
It is probably a potassium deficiency. I really don't think you have bacterial/viral problems. You MIGHT have a fungal problem starting but if you can prevent it not a serious problem. Mix about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a gallon of water and spray the entire plant. Do this once a week and the likelihood of powdery mildew greatly diminishes.

Ask a Question