Any tips for using lefover pulp from juicing for fertilizer

Reaction score
We have hard clay soil here so we do our gardening in wine barrels which is fantastic. We have recently started to save our pulp that is leftover from juicing for fertilizer. Instead of having a compost bin we have been dumping it into each of our empty barrels and turning it into the soil. This method has been great so far except for the unexpected tomato plants we keep getting. We are new to composting in general so is this way good enough or should we compost it first?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with composting in barrels or with using pulp. However, IMO you should allow the pulp to decompose completely before using on your plants. I would also encourage you to employ actively aerated compost tea instead of just the composted pulp. Learn more about compost tea further down in this forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I have a juicer and have wondered about what to do with the left over pulp. I thought more along the line of using it for cooking. vegetable juice leaves a great pulp that can be used in just about any base. My approach has been to use it like a stock, stirring it in during the thickening phase of cooking. i also feed some of this pulp to my rabbit and torts, they love it.

Now the fruit pulp is a bit harder since I don;t bake as much as I once did. i suppose you could make a nice fruit compote or topping if you planned right. i recall reading about adding applesauce instead of other ingredients to make cakes and certain breads healthier and moist, I don't think it would matter if you used other types of fruit pulp. Could be Delicious.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used applesauce in my cookies to them more fiber. If I have apples that are going bad I will cook the apple until soft and mix it in to muffins or cookies. If I have bananas that have start to turn brown they are put into the freezer to be used for a smoothie or bread later.

Ask a Question