Another Avocado Plant issue

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
My other avocado plant is also experiencing issues. The plant leaves are curling down and there are brown splotches. Any help is appreciated!

*I should note that I've recently repotted it from a tiny pot and it could be shock??

Attachments

• 20230622_131326.jpg
    20230622_131326.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
Put a layer of hay or straw mulch to keep the heat off the roots. It looks like your plant may be suffering from being too hot. Lay a thermometer on the potting soil to watch the heat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, I would like to confess that I have killed many young avocado trees bought from Home Depot. Thank goodness for their 1-year warranty.

From that, I have learned that young avocado trees do not particularly like the full sun, especially the west sun. Once I realized this, I planted Fuerte Avocado where it only gets the morning sun. On the west, there was a horse cover structure that provided shade in the afternoons. Anyhow, that was one avocado that I was proud to say I grew. The other avocado, I put a shade linen around to protect it from the afternoon sun. It was doing decently, then I had to move due to a job transfer. A few years later, when I visited the neighborhood, I noticed that the second avocado tree was gone. It might have died because the new owner did not know to shade it? I don't know.

The point of this post is that although every source tells us that avocado needs full sun, that's not true. Young avocados need partial sun, and as they grow, the canopy will grow into full sun. This was in Southern California.

Ask a Question