Does Rapido, Bence and dandelion have another name? ID

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm new to this. Mowed the lawn last week and the grass/weeds/plants seem to be growing very quickly.

I've downloaded various apps but don't have any conclusive answers as what what I have in my garden.

My aim, if not grass is to get rid of them. Anyone know the best way to do that? Tools to use, where to buy?

I'm thinking of mowing the lawn again this week.

I believe there are 5 different grass/weed/plants in my garden. Do you know what they are called? Here they are.

1. Currently called rapido as it grows fast
View attachment 89040
1. Here is rapido again (see how fast it grows)
20220417_072847.jpg

2. Maybe a dandelion
View attachment 89048

3. Currently called Bence as it grows a lot by the back fence

View attachment 89049

4. Currently called hard crawler. Founds on the grounds slabs and up the walls
View attachment 89050

5. Currently called no name as it doesn't have one
View attachment 89051

Thank you all in advance

Happy Easter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but your attachments come up "Not available, you do not have permission to view this page" and the one photo of what you call "Rapido" re-grown simply looks like small clumps of grass as I can't close in enough.

Dandelions have a deep root, which will keep coming back if any is left in, but are easily confused with other compositae, things like hawkweeds all have similar round yellow flowers. but are easier to weed out.

I prefer weeding things out, but there are various chemical solutions. "Weed and feed" or similar will kill weeds in grass whilst leaving the grass. Weedkillers like "Round up" containing glycophosphate will kill everything, but they are systemic, meaning they get absorbed through the leaves. That means you can mix with a little wall paper paste and make something you can paint onto the leaves of the plant you want to kill and leave the rest. That is good if you have really deep rooted things like bindweed which mix up with things you want.

Best of luck, and see if you can get those photos visible.

Welcome to the forum. You might try clicking on 'Forums' , top left, and looking through the one on lawns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but your attachments come up "Not available, you do not have permission to view this page" and the one photo of what you call "Rapido" re-grown simply looks like small clumps of grass as I can't close in enough.

Dandelions have a deep root, which will keep coming back if any is left in, but are easily confused with other compositae, things like hawkweeds all have similar round yellow flowers. but are easier to weed out.

I prefer weeding things out, but there are various chemical solutions. "Weed and feed" or similar will kill weeds in grass whilst leaving the grass. Weedkillers like "Round up" containing glycophosphate will kill everything, but they are systemic, meaning they get absorbed through the leaves. That means you can mix with a little wall paper paste and make something you can paint onto the leaves of the plant you want to kill and leave the rest. That is good if you have really deep rooted things like bindweed which mix up with things you want.

Best of luck, and see if you can get those photos visible.

Welcome to the forum. You might try clicking on 'Forums' , top left, and looking through the one on lawns.

Oh sorry, didn't realise the links weren't working. Does this work. My aim was to get rid of the unwanted grass/weeds/plants. The sort the lawn. When I look at my neighbours their grass looks totally different to mine. Great to know the is a lawn subforum

Do these links work?

Sorry haven't worked out how to embed or edit post.

1.Rapido close up
https://ibb.co/jGbM0Sg
1.Rapido closer up
https://ibb.co/9nyJNqY
2. Maybe a dandelion
https://ibb.co/25ZpyTH
3. Currently called Bence as it grows a lot by the back fence
https://ibb.co/mFwwj7c
4. Currently called hard crawler. Founds on the grounds slabs and up the walls
https://ibb.co/KDxPZCM
5. Currently called no name (no wondering if its the same as no.2)
https://ibb.co/cCqX1qn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly you re quite right about the dandelion, and yes, no. 5 is also a dandelion. Those leaves are an absolute give away.
Bence I am not completely sure of, but it looks as though it might be a slightly damaged bluebell, and there is nothing else I can think of that colour this time of year. If it is it would be growing from a fleshy bulb, slightly sticky if you damage it.
Hard crawler is convulvulus, or bindweed. There are a couple of types, one with a pink flower, the other with a larger white flower.
Rapido still looks like some sort of grass, there are an awful lot of them though.

The bindweed and dandelion will be the hardest to get rid of. The dandelion makes a deep tap root, and if you leave a bit it will come back , shooting multiple new plants from it. Bindweed has thick white roots that are actually tubers. They spread for considerable distances and are quite brittle, any tiny chip will start a new plant. Resorting to chemicals is the best way to deal with either of these, Roundup or any weedkiller with glycophosphate in. It is a systemic, so you spray it on the leaves and the plant absorbs it and carries it back to the roots, but you may well need more than one spray.

I don't know how involved you want to get, but if I really wanted a good lawn I would start over, dig it all over first, rake it and level it, spray anything that came up, rake a fine tilth on the top, then either lay good, weed free turf or seed it. The seed is a fraction of the price and you know much more what you are getting, but it will need to grow about four inches before you can cut it and it will still be a bit fragile for the first year, turfing is much more instant.
If you can hire or borrow a rotorvator it is the quick way to dig it. I don't favour them myself, they are noisy and leave a compressed layer where the blades come round at the bottom, but in our last house the whole garden was in a state so I rotorvated it all and seeded it to grass while we did up the house, then cut out the beds I wanted a year later.

Ask a Question