All you garlic growers

Reaction score
How many of you grow garlic, and what variety. If you grow a large crop how do you preserve it. I planted some last fall and can't wait to try them. I planted a hard neck called Music (I think). It is growing well, no tulips here, for me spring will mean garlic....:D

j.w

Reaction score
I don't know what kind I have as I got mine from a neighbor this time but I have just taken garlic I have bought from the store and planted it in the past and it grew well. To preserve mine when I have tons I take the peel off and freeze the cloves in a plastic container and then just take out as needed. It works very well for me that way. Our real estate man who is also a gardener taught me that trick.

Reaction score
I tried it several years ago and did not have any luck, they rotted. Think I might try it again this year. I just use the ones from the grocery store and plant them.

j.w

Reaction score
I plant them in October and leave them in all winter till they are ready to harvest in Spring. You can cover them w/ 5" of straw to keep from freezing. Planting in Fall produces bigger cloves.You can also grow them in the Spring and harvest in the Fall. They say some of the grocery store ones are sprayed w/ something to stop them from growing but I haven't found any like that yet.

j.w

Reaction score
It's up to you but I have always used the store ones and they always grew so weren't sprayed w/ any growth retardant. You could just buy the ones in the garden stores to be safe in knowing that they will grow. When I get nice big cloves I always save some of those to plant for the next season. That way you know they will grow good.

Reaction score
I have grown both softneck and hardneck garlics. Growing garlic starts with knowing when to plant it. But planting itself is incredibly easy. In mid-fall plant garlic bulbs in loose, very fertile soil. Plant cloves root side down about 8 inches apart in all directions and the tips about two inches down. Mulch around with straw when the green shoots will come up. In spring pull back the mulch. Feed them mixed fish emulsion and liquid seaweed. Water only if the soil is dry and avoid pouring water into the crowns of the plant.

The bulbs are ready when most of the lower leaves have browned. The upper ones will still be green. If you've ever grown onions, it's easy to assume garlic is the same and you should wait until all the leaves have fallen over. The finished garlic will still be on the dirty side compared to anything commercial. We leave it that way until we want to use it because further cleanup can shorten storage life. If you can't bear the way it looks, try removing the outer layer of wrapper. You can wash the bulbs if you must and should be ok as long as they dry quickly and thoroughly, but if you ask me you're asking for trouble by pushing it this way.

at-home ideal for storing garlic is between 55 and 70 degrees, with moderate humidity and good air circulation, in the light but out of the sun. We keep our garlic stored in baskets in the cold closet.

j.w

Reaction score
I think the young first stems of the season ones might be more tender but if you are just wanting to use them to flavor something they would be fine. But if you put them in something and try to chew them they might be a bit fibrous on the more mature garlic plants.

Reaction score
With garlic, there are three harvests or crops you can use:

The first harvest is in early spring, when garlic plants are about a foot tall. You can either cut some greens or pull some complete plants as scallions and use them in your cooking as a source of fresh garlic.

The second harvest is the scapes. Around mid June, hardneck garlic varieties send up a round stalk or scape. When the scapes curl, snap them off. This enables the plants to put their energy into bulb formation. The scapes are delicious and should not be discarded but used in place of garlic bulbs. They contain loads of garlic oil and have the same health benefits as the bulbs. Scapes can be refrigerated in plastic bags for about 3 months.

The main harvest is when the underground bulbs are dug, cured and stored for fall and winter use. This is the most critical harvest requiring meticulous care to give you top quality, keeping garlic. Careless harvesting can ruin a fine crop of garlic.

Reaction score
This years garlic is starting to sprout! All my varieties are hard neck so I will be saving scapes this year, can't wait!

Reaction score
You've got sprouts! Good luck with them!

I planted garlic to harvest last year, bought it organically over the web, but it rotted, wet summer and clay soil :( and I missed the planting season last October/November. However, I was at an RHS site (Royal Horticultural Society) and they had 3 cloves of garlic for spring planting - its been really wet *again* since then, but I'm hoping it'll dry off soon and I can try again.

Ask a Question