Air Air-Layered / Cutting Rooted plants compared to Rootstocking ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my experience an average of 2-3 weeks is common. I would place 5 or 6 in a 6" container. Then in 2 weeks I would GENTLY tug on a cutting. If there was any resistance then you have roots. The reason I said they would normally root within a month was that when a month was up they would either have rooted or they weren't going to. I would then place them underwater and GENTLY pour them out and if needed seperate them and repot.
Thanks!

So I just checked on my fig air-layer for the first time! It appears that I did not even skin the bark before air-layering so that probably is a big reason why it's taking so long. (Plus the winter/timing).

However, I did see one small root which I accidentally broke because I thought there were no roots and I removed dirt without being cautious. I just skinned the bark and re-airlayered. I hope I didn't screw it up :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks!

So I just checked on my fig air-layer for the first time! It appears that I did not even skin the bark before air-layering so that probably is a big reason why it's taking so long. (Plus the winter/timing).

However, I did see one small root which I accidentally broke because I thought there were no roots and I removed dirt without being cautious. I just skinned the bark and re-airlayered. I hope I didn't screw it up :eek:
Don't forget to not only skin the bark off but to also go through the green cambium layer, down to the white color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't forget to not only skin the bark off but to also go through the green cambium layer, down to the white color.

Yep I learned that just yesterday and never did that on previous air-layers. PS: I've never been successful with air-layers. They always die ( except this fig tree which grew a 1/4th inch root in 2 months. :( ).

Thanks to your help though with another month or so, I should have a new fig tree ! YAY! ^_^

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! I should have asked this earlier and I would have just chopped the limb and rooted it that way :p.

I also took a cutting the same day and the cutting has a decent amount of roots now; so you're totally right.

I appreciate the help ^_^.

Do you know if Avocado cuttings take a long time? Air Layer? It appears that every single Avocado rooting YouTube video out there either 1) Doesn't have an update telling us results and length or 2) They died.

I assume Avocados are hard to root?

Haha! Montray - I have several avocados growing up to 8 inches after being rescued from the compost bin. They literally sprouted in the compost bin. Then they got so big and I've got such a small house that I decided to kill them. Very cruel of me. But one had to be pragmatic. Seeing the prices of avocado, I will persevere. Another heirloom for my son!:eek::D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haha! Montray - I have several avocados growing up to 8 inches after being rescued from the compost bin. They literally sprouted in the compost bin. Then they got so big and I've got such a small house that I decided to kill them. Very cruel of me. But one had to be pragmatic. Seeing the prices of avocado, I will persevere. Another heirloom for my son!:eek::D

Awesome news to hear!! Surely if your avocados could survive and sprout in a compost bin mine should survive being taken care of pretty well. I have them in a humidity dome with fresh water and a few sprays of Hydrogen Peroxide to discourage mold and fungi.

Do you by chance remember about how long ago you threw them out ?

PS: Yeah, I am finding out that Avocados are really expensive these days! :eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That must be 2 years ago. We just don't have the ideal weather condition for it and trees can be very big. One avocado grown from seed actually matured last year. It was NEWS here! :eek::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That must be 2 years ago. We just don't have the ideal weather condition for it and trees can be very big. One avocado grown from seed actually matured last year. It was NEWS here! :eek::LOL:

My problem is exactly that it seems nobody has done Avocado propagation tests to get a precise (or at least close to) evaluation of how long Avocados take to root.

Considering they are so expensive, I would think the exact opposite -- that people would find cheaper alternatives, hence more cuttings / air-layers. Even YouTube lacks much info about Avocado growing. No wonder (aside from climate) so many people fail at avocados.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Think you can join an Australian gardening forum. Avocados are everywhere in Australia. My sister in law said they all matured at the same time and I guess it must be like bonanza!

Watch this video - quite hilarious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Think you can join an Australian gardening forum. Avocados are everywhere in Australia. My sister in law said they all matured at the same time and I guess it must be like bonanza!

Watch this video - quite hilarious!

Great video indeed! Thanks! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There are purposes to grafting.
One is simply disease resistance.
A more complex reason is that the graft modifies the growth behaviour of the plant, for example, dwarfing rootstock helps the plants reach maturity much earlier, fruiting earlier, and restricting their height.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are purposes to grafting.
One is simply disease resistance.
A more complex reason is that the graft modifies the growth behaviour of the plant, for example, dwarfing rootstock helps the plants reach maturity much earlier, fruiting earlier, and restricting their height.
Awesome. Thanks!

I've come to find out that I love grafting. It's a lot of fun. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Figs are MUCH easier to air layer in the spring when they are actively growing. A month and a half ago it was the beginning of winter. A good time to plant a fig but really a bad time for air layering.

Hey just an update. After moving that Fig tree inside, it now has a bunch of roots! I'm super excited. Took about a month but it's looking very promising! ^_^

How can I know when there are enough roots to support the foliage?

Ask a Question