JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I recently got back from a few days of camping in the largest managed prairie in this part of Wisconsin. Surprisingly, this was my first time there. I had a great time exploring it. From hiking, to biking, to canoeing. The area, known as Richard Bong Recreation Area, was originally planned to be Richard Bong Air Force base, but construction stopped just three days before concrete was set to be poured for the runway in 1959. It was abandoned and ultimately destined to be the park and habitat that it is today.

The prairie has many of the same species I grow in my native garden, and I left more inspired than ever. I hope to continue improving my garden, and my goal will be to imitate this prairie as closely as I can in the 1000 square feet I have to work with.

Every camping trip for me is really a photography trip. Here are some of my favorite photos from this adventure.

Sandhill Crane
IMG_0173 copy1.jpg

This section of the park is dedicated to a wildlife sanctuary. No recreational activities allowed. Here is a panorama showing the entire sanctuary as seen from a small observation tower. It's mostly wetland habitat with prairie around the edges. During my time there, I saw Double-crested Cormorants, Great Egrets, and Great Blue Herons. There's no telling what else might be out there.
IMG_0181 copy copy.jpg

The trails through the prairie were my favorite. Summer-blooming species were in full bloom, so there was a lot of color to be seen, and a lot of pollinator activity.

Smooth Oxeye
IMG_0239 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot
IMG_0252 copy.jpg

Rattlesnake Master
IMG_0273 copy.jpg

Bee on Butterflyweed (with a Monarch Butterfly in the background)
IMG_0304 copy.jpg

Gray-headed Coneflower and Blazing Star
IMG_0344 copy.jpg

Rattlesnake Master
IMG_0350 copy.jpg

Pale Purple Coneflower with Wolf Lake in the distance
IMG_0369 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot
IMG_0383 copy.jpg

Monarch Butterfly on Swamp Milkweed
IMG_0386 copy.jpg

Pale Purple Coneflower
IMG_0409 copy.jpg

Lead Plant - my first time seeing this specie in person. I'm definitely going to look into getting this specie for my garden in the future.
IMG_0450 copy.jpg

Great Egret flying over one of the many ponds on the property. I counted at least 20 ponds during my time there, and I know there were many more that I didn't get to see.
IMG_0497 copy.jpg

Canoeing on Wolf Lake.
IMG_0328 copy.jpg

If you're interested, you can see all of my photos on this slideshow:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Coor! I love that yellow bird.. and I am twitching! How come we only have grass in our park .. Never showy flowers like echinaceas!??

Nice milkweeds and butterfly weeds, too! Thank you for sharing!

Ask a Question