adding compost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I'm new to gardening, and before realizing that what I was doing was wrong, I planted some spinach and carrot seeds in regular dirt in a barrel container on my balcony. Now I have little seedlings in clay-like dirt and I'm worried that they won't do well, but I'd hate to empty the container completely and start over with a potting mix if my tiny little seedlings have a chance to thrive. What would you suggest I do? Start over with a good potting mix this late in spring? Or add compost on top of what I already have and hope the seedlings are strong enough to grow well in clay-like dirt?

Thanks in advance!
Crystal

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suggest that you start over and do the proper research. I am very hasty as well when it comes to planting. I recently planted a decent sized container garden using potting mix, which dries up too quickly in which I have to water everyday. Potting mix really has no nutrients for plants, unless it is Miracle Gro which will feed your plants for a few months, but still it dries out too quickly. What I did was I went to Lowe's and bought Black Kow for $5.17, it's in a yellow bag. I used it as a top dressing on top of my potting mix. When it rains all the nutrients will drain down. Don't plant your garden in just compost without a mixture of different mediums. The soil needs to be airy, clay is a no go. Nothing grows well in clay. So my mixture is perlite - few small handfuls per container, which is about $4.00 for a small bag, potting mix - again about $5.00 a bag and then the Black Kow mixture.

You can also use mushroom compost - sold at Home Depot and Lowe's, or chicken manure. Every gardener has a differnet opinion and this is mine. Keep the Black Kow as a top dressing. Also invest in Alaska Fish Emulsion which is about $6.00 at Walmart. Use two capfuls per 1 gallon watering can and mix together well and water your plants. This is a great and cheap fertilizer!! Wait a few weeks and your plants will be thriving!! Use this fertilizer when seedlings have true leaves, when they set fruit and when the season changes.

Best of luck!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suggest that you start over and do the proper research. I am very hasty as well when it comes to planting. I recently planted a decent sized container garden using potting mix, which dries up too quickly in which I have to water everyday. Potting mix really has no nutrients for plants, unless it is Miracle Gro which will feed your plants for a few months, but still it dries out too quickly. What I did was I went to Lowe's and bought Black Kow for $5.17, it's in a yellow bag. I used it as a top dressing on top of my potting mix. When it rains all the nutrients will drain down. Don't plant your garden in just compost without a mixture of different mediums. The soil needs to be airy, clay is a no go. Nothing grows well in clay. So my mixture is perlite - few small handfuls per container, which is about $4.00 for a small bag, potting mix - again about $5.00 a bag and then the Black Kow mixture.

You can also use mushroom compost - sold at Home Depot and Lowe's, or chicken manure. Every gardener has a differnet opinion and this is mine. Keep the Black Kow as a top dressing. Also invest in Alaska Fish Emulsion which is about $6.00 at Walmart. Use two capfuls per 1 gallon watering can and mix together well and water your plants. This is a great and cheap fertilizer!! Wait a few weeks and your plants will be thriving!! Use this fertilizer when seedlings have true leaves, when they set fruit and when the season changes.

Best of luck!!!!!

Thank you so so much Kallie! Your post was so helpful and informative! :)

Ask a Question