A Tuff Native Perenial

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Yucca in full bloom.

Edit: I have no control what the site's system does with pictures I post like cutting off about 75% of the vegetative growth. Sorry

Attachments

• Yucca - 5-22-21.JPG
    Yucca - 5-22-21.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Yucca ll - 5-22-21.JPG
    Yucca ll - 5-22-21.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When this place was still operating as a camping site, a well meaning ''helper'' planted one of those for me in one of the shrubberies here. It had to be removed because it was dangerous - if a child was to fall on it, it could have caused harm as the spikes on it are lethal. Digging it out was a pain and a half - the roots go down to the antipodes :cautious:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can view it fine @SeniorCitizen (y)

When this place was still operating as a camping site, a well meaning ''helper'' planted one of those for me in one of the shrubberies here. It had to be removed because it was dangerous - if a child was to fall on it, it could have caused harm as the spikes on it are lethal. Digging it out was a pain and a half - the roots go down to the antipodes :cautious:

Guess who had to do the digging :rolleyes:

Had one growing on the pill box I used to use in Dorset....

DSCN0432_zps3f8ecf62.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Poor little babies of today. I see it as rather pathetic in terms of general education in life. Maybe they won't be in danger using their iPOD while staying in the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The spines, especially as they age can penetrate straight down to the bone.

Not really a plant to grow in an area where children play. Injuries are also common in pets, and can maim, deafen or blind them. In fact, anyone at all falling on to such spines could be injured.
Very architectural to look at, but not a good choice when responsible for guests safety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
I have several. While they can be spiny at the leaf tips, they are totally worth the effort. First, there is the yucca moth---reason interesting enough to grow the plant IMHO. After they're done, hummingbirds (and other small birds) use the old flower stalks as perches. So we leave them on the plant until well after hummingbird migration. They're evergreen and require little to no pampering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I adore Yucca. I have about ten varieties in my garden, but none quite like the one posted by the OP.
It might be Soapweed Yucca (Yucca glauca), but it would be good to see floral and leaf details. It appears to be a natively occurring plant,so geographic location would also be most helpful.

Ask a Question