What is this white stuff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed this white stuff on the soil. Is it a problem? It's a Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana.
PXL_20201215_002011998.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed this white stuff on the soil. Is it a problem? It's a Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana. View attachment 74020
Nope, not a problem. In fact it shows healthy soil. The name of the stuff is mycelium and it enables the fungi in the soil to break down the organic matter in order for the nutrients to be uptaken by your plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome @GreenDad :) I notice there are also white patches on the leaves of your Kalanchoe, and as they can be prone to powdery mildew, especially if a bit overwatered and in a heated house, I would watch that. Be careful not to overwater and make sure your plant has plenty of air flow around it. If things do get any worse a fungicide might be a good idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
What's the average relative humidity of the air where they live?

I suspect it is being watered from the top. If so consider watering from the bottom until the top has a slight feel of moisture, that is if you are a by feel moisture tester gardener. Then don't water again for a week or more.

Ask a Question