A surplus of tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I must say that I've never liked tomato juice. It's too thick and...I'm not sure, I just don't like it. I don't understand why though, since I find tomatoes so delicious when they're in my sandwich. I don't drink tomato alcoholic drinks either:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Quite thin when you make it like I do. Did drink the best part of a litre of shop bought juice once, made me feel ill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Then I'll start making it too, who knows, maybe I'll like it. So far, I've only tried shop bought juice and it was a horrible experience:eek:
My boyfriend loves tomato juice, so it will be a nice surprise for him if I make him some:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Worth a go, think it made about a pint last time I did it, not enough tomatoes this year though.

Reaction score
Man, I am so jealous! I have a difficult time growing tomatoes. I am going to try some different methods next year, so that I can start growing them earlier in the season.

My friend's grandma was able to grow many tomatoes. They would sun dry the tomatoes and set them aside for the winter. She would add them to lasagna and other meals. It made for a much richer flavor than using tomato paste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
This year, we first ad all the heat, and then the weather totally changed and turned rainy, so we just didn't get the huge tomato crop that we normally have by now.
It has even been so wet that I haven't been to the farmer market looking for tomatoes, so we just haven't had as many to try and use up.
I also like the tomato/onion/cucumber salad, and put Italian dressing on mine.
Shelly, please tell us more about the tomato pie ! It sounds delicious. Is it a sweet dessert pie, or more of a savory pizza style one ?

Reaction score
Toward the end of the summer every year the tomatoes leave my mother's garden and invade the kitchen! The attack is a little overwhelming sometimes, but we would always do what Zigs suggested and blanch and freeze the tomatoes for later use in soups, pizza and pasta sauces, etc. Good luck with the battle!

Ask a Question