Tomatoes turning dark!

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

The fruits of my tomato plant start going black from below. I have attached an image of some of them. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can treat it? :(

Thanks.
Moh.

IMG_4529.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Using epsom salts completely stops blossom end rot in my soil. It enables the plant to uptake calcium in alkaline soils. I don't know what kind of soil you have but it won't hurt anything to try it.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Using epsom salts completely stops blossom end rot in my soil. It enables the plant to uptake calcium in alkaline soils. I don't know what kind of soil you have but it won't hurt anything to try it.
Thanks. Wouldn't kitchen salt help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Wouldn't kitchen salt help?
NO! Salt is what kills plants and soil. Epsom salt isn't salt it's magnesium sulfate, a huge difference. As I said, it works in my soil and my soil has tons of calcium already in it but the alkalinity makes it impossible for the plant to uptake it. Epsom salts does something to the calcium in the soil that enables it to be used by the plant. It may not work for you with BER but epsom salts has many other beneficial uses in the garden.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
NO! Salt is what kills plants and soil. Epsom salt isn't salt it's magnesium sulfate, a huge difference. As I said, it works in my soil and my soil has tons of calcium already in it but the alkalinity makes it impossible for the plant to uptake it. Epsom salts does something to the calcium in the soil that enables it to be used by the plant. It may not work for you with BER but epsom salts has many other beneficial uses in the garden.
Ops! I'm glad that I asked because I didn't know their difference. Thanks for info.
Could it also be because the plant is in a container? I feel it's too small for the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ops! I'm glad that I asked because I didn't know their difference. Thanks for info.
Could it also be because the plant is in a container? I feel it's too small for the plant.
Not really. BER is a mineral problem not a root constriction problem. But if your plant is in a too small of a container it should be moved as constricted roots leads to a plant growth problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had thought that by now another forum member would have explained another reason for BER. Many folks have BER but the reason is different in their case. That reason is irregular watering and by this I mean the plant gets too much water for a time and then it gets too little water for a time. I suppose this may be your case as container gardening is a little different than in ground gardening in that it is easier to water too often and not maintain a proper moisture level in the soil. I don't know of anything except epsom salts and/or proper watering that can control BER. IMO, I think that the two are unrelated except for the destruction of the fruit. I have yet to understand what irregular watering as to do with fruit growth except that the young fruit intakes so much water it cannot grow fast enough to "rid" itself of the excess water. BER can affect all tomato fruit but it mainly shows up on newer fruits. On older fruits cracking occurs when too much water is applied at one or two times but BER can occur.

In a perfect tomato growing season I must use epsom salts or I will get few tomatoes. On some varieties none at all. If I have a season where it rains a lot, dries out some and then rains again and dries out some I will have some fruits that will have BER or what looks like BER. I am not 100% sure that the two are the same thing although the results are identical.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
According to Jim in The Beechgrove Garden - this is caused by too long a gap between watering and the soil dries out. The calcium supply to the fruit is interrupted. He said IT IS THE WATERING gap that causes the problem. Just remove the bad ones. He said there was calcium in the soil, but the soil dries out so the supply of calcium is interrupted. Probably make sure the soil is moist, but well drained.

Follow Chuck's advice and use a bit of epsom salt.

Ask a Question