A surplus of tomatoes.

Reaction score
I know its technically a fruit but a tomato lacks the sweet so I'm posting here instead. We have been eating a lot of tomatoes this week. My dads garden went crazy. Our favorite dish has been a simple mix of diced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers and a little vinegar. A bit of cheese goes good as well. Its simple and has all the taste of summer. We also have had a few tomato sandwiches which my son calls sammiches thanks to Duck Dynasty.

What do you love to do with your tomatoes when you have a million coming on at once?

Reaction score
I don't always have a lot of patience so I enjoy eating fried green tomatoes. But, I always have cucumbers and tomatoes at the same time so I eat them together.

Reaction score
tomato paste, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, chili sauce, sun dried tomatoes, and simple canned tomatoes.

I have a tonne of green tomatoes on our plants - I'm afraid they are all going to ripen at once, and I'll be making a lot of the above!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Usually, I eat tomato sandwiches. I'll never have enough of them, I love them so much that I want to eat them every day! It's just bread, tomatoes and some salt, but it tastes heavenly. Today, I plan to prepare pizza sauce though because we are having pizza for dinner:D

Reaction score
Oh good ole tomato sandwiches! If there is way too many to eat before they spoil I make tomato paste, tomato sauce, can diced tomatoes.......

Reaction score
You just described my favorite salad loopyloo! I don't usually add cheese, though. Usually, I cook my tomatoes with onions and garlic for use in chili or as a pasta or pizza sauce. My room-mate's into those "mater sammiches" everyone raves about, ha, ha. They aren't my cup of tea. Of course, here in the South we serve fresh sliced tomatoes on the plate with any meat and potato dish as a garnish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Nothing better than tomato sandwiches when the tomatoes are fresh. I don't have an abundance anymore because I only have a small balcony garden but when I did have a yard, I used to can my tomatoes for pasta sauces, chili , just about anything.

Reaction score
There is also the baked tomato pie. I will have to see if I can get the recipe from my friend. I have only had it once and it was at her Grandma's house. I fell in love but never got the exact recipe.

Jed

Reaction score
I'm so envious. I love tomatoes but am unable to produce any because of my climatic conditions. At the moment here being winter store bought tomatoes have the flavour and texture of cucumber.:( As much as I try not to buy any I seem to bring some home hoping at last I will have that perfect flavoured tomato.:confused: If I had excess I would eat so many toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches I would die with happiness. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jed, I know how you feel. Store bought tomatoes aren't yummy at all, during last winter I was eating them every day. It was still better than nothing. Try adding a few drops of lemon juice to your tomato sandwich and some salt, it will make it more tasty.

Reaction score
I like to make a salad similar to yours except I add Italian dressing instead of just vinegar. It is always a nice side dish to go with dinner, especially if you cook on the grill!

I also love tomato sandwiches on wheat bread with mayo, a little salt and some pepper. I have enjoyed them since I was a little kid and now my kids enjoy them also :)

I add them on top of dishes and even in dishes like pasta alfredo, but I add them after I turn the stove off so they just barely heat and don't get too squishy.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I pop them in boiling water for 30 seconds, then plunge them into cold, this makes the skins easy to rub off.

Squash them over a sieve with a bowl under it, scrape what you can of the seeds out, you only really want the flesh, pop that into a freezer bag and exclude as much air as you can - ready to freeze.

Reason for removing the seed is that it tends to go bitter in the freezer.

The bowl should have fresh tomato juice in it at the end, drink that with a dash of Worcester Sauce :)

Reaction score
Tomato sandwiches! Oh, yes please! If you have bacon that's even better!

I like tomato salads with just sliced tomato, chopped sweet onion, salt and pepper, and a little olive oil. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours until the juices all combine and get out bread for dipping. Delicious!

I also like to slice up tomatoes, drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and put them in the oven to roast. They store really well in the freezer and are great to use later for soups, chili, and other dishes. They taste good right out of the oven too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I forgot to add that I always rub off the skins of my tomatoes. This way they're tastier:D
Anyway, would you believe that I ate my very first tomato when I was around 20? My mother hates tomatos, she doesn't buy them nor grow them, so we didn't have any at home. Of course she would give me one if I asked her, but I didn't want to eat vegetables that I wasn't familiar with:p

Reaction score
I forgot to add that I always rub off the skins of my tomatoes. This way they're tastier:D
Anyway, would you believe that I ate my very first tomato when I was around 20? My mother hates tomatos, she doesn't buy them nor grow them, so we didn't have any at home. Of course she would give me one if I asked her, but I didn't want to eat vegetables that I wasn't familiar with:p

Unfortunately I think this is the case for a lot of people. Not with tomatoes specifically...but just with any food. If the parents don't like it the kids never try it. Thankfully in my case I like pretty much everything (although that wasn't always the case...)

Ask a Question