A name to this for a friend would be nice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
berries.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not certain, but let see what can be figured out.

Questions:
Could a better photo be taken? Even the scale is hard to judge
Are fruit on the same plant as the leaves in the shot? I'm thinking perhaps not.
Was this photo taken in England or elsewhere? It looks like a garden setting.
Is it known if the the plant is annual or perennial?

The berries themselves remind me of White Bryony (Bryonia dioica) but usually such fruit is more clustered and on shorter pedicels.

Perhaps the fruit of a type of Asian May-apple (such as Sinopodophyllum hexandrum), but again fruit shape and placement seem off.

I am curious. If your friend could take some more photos, it would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wonderful. I'm so happy to know the answer. I've grown that plant, but that shot was so atypical, with uncharacteristically sparse foliage, mixed with that of Viola (?) and something else.

...and of course, the extraordinary flowers of Fuchsia procumbens (Onagraceae, New Zealand), do overshadow familiarity with the fruit.
1200x0.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The O.P. is still puzzled as she has no recollection of ever planting it. She thinks it may have come in a pot with something else. That is why it is so straggly as it was never planted properly and has just grown in the undergrowth.

Ask a Question