Can you name these plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, soon to move into a house that will need some tlc on the gardening front.
Curious to know what this one with the dark berries might be
a.png

at the back there is this one with the thick branching, any ideas?
b.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

The first plant is Tutsan or Shrubby St. John's Wort (Hypericum androsaemum). It is native to the British Isles.

I would like a better photo of the second plant. Could you take a close-up shot of the leaves, preferrably both upper and lower side?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Marck thanks for getting back, I'll grab another picture of the second one. Interesting about the first one - If I ever get depression I've got the cure right on my door :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes please, I think the second plant is Buddleja davidii (or a hybrid), but I would like to see the leaf details better to be sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, this shrub is a cultivar of Buddleja davidii (or a hybrid involving B. davidii). It is native to China & Tibet, and has several common names, including Butterfly Bush and Summer-lilac.
The genus, Buddleja is in the Figwort Family and occurs widely in North America, South America, the Caribbean, Africa, Madagascar, Asia, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Malesia, New Guinea, and other islands in the western Pacific.

Buddleja davidii is a semi-evergreen shrub, but will lose their leaves in cold weather. They can be left to grow as tall as small trees, or they can be pruned back as hard as you like in very early Spring.

There is also a second Buddleja davidii next to the Hypericum androsaemum in the very first pic.

Last edited:

Ask a Question