A little plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I started to grow a little plant a month ago everything was ok I could see how it was becoming stronger and bigger. This is my hobby to check how my care and a little effort create something new. But several days ago I faced a problem and suspicions. My bf started vaping at home and I am worried that it can damage my plant or make some harm. I can't see the changes now, but I don't want to wait for a day when it will be too late. I read some articles on the internet, all the sites about vaping give totally positive info aka vaping is safe for everyone and everything, but I can't believe even relevant sites ( maybe this quitsmokingcommunity.org but I can't be sure and don't wanna be advertised). So possibly you have the same knowledge and can help me, I will be grateful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I'm a smoker and real smoke doesn't bother my seedlings. So I'd say that vapor would harm them even less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
According to what I've read, tobacco products aren't good to have around tomato plants. You are supposed to wash your hands after handling stuff like that before touching your tomato plants. I think it can spread disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
According to what I've read, tobacco products aren't good to have around tomato plants. You are supposed to wash your hands after handling stuff like that before touching your tomato plants. I think it can spread disease.
You are correct. Nicotine can be a dangerous chemical. I don't smoke in my garden mainly because I don't want to leave any tobacco on the ground as in butts. Supposedly second hand smoke is dangerous but it all depends on which doctor/scientist you believe. I've been smoking since I was 16 and now I am almost 72. I am in perfect health. I haven't even had a cold in over 20 years and look 10 years younger. It may be genetic, I don't know but I just can't see vapor harming anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No one in my family smokes(except I think I've heard one of my great-uncles smokes a cigar now and then, but he's not a gardener) because we know how dangerous to your health smoking is. Smoking causes lung cancer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO smoking may be dangerous to one's health and tobacco smoke on a plant might be a remote possibility. I have never seen smoke damage a plant. Having said this tobacco itself can be harmful to plants and so can handling them if you have handled raw tobacco. Tobacco Mosaic Virus molecules are not on every single shred of tobacco in a cigarette. The virus also affects tobacco plants so I have to imagine that tobacco growers go to extreme lengths to keep their farms clean. I have never seen TMV much less have it in my own garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say this really depends on what he's vaping, how often, how much ventilation is in the home, etc. Most likely it won't cause a problem, vaping "fumes" are not as bad as cigarette for example. Then there are many aerosol sprays and such that are likely in your home that are more likely to cause a problem than vaping.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it, I guess it could be different if he were hot boxing the plant or something but even that is far fetched HAHA!

Your plant should be fine <3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say this really depends on what he's vaping, how often, how much ventilation is in the home, etc. Most likely it won't cause a problem, vaping "fumes" are not as bad as cigarette for example. Then there are many aerosol sprays and such that are likely in your home that are more likely to cause a problem than vaping.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it, I guess it could be different if he were hot boxing the plant or something but even that is far fetched HAHA!

Your plant should be fine <3
Let's hope

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I started to grow a little plant a month ago everything was ok I could see how it was becoming stronger and bigger. This is my hobby to check how my care and a little effort create something new. But several days ago I faced a problem and suspicions. My bf started vaping at home and I am worried that it can damage my plant or make some harm. I can't see the changes now, but I don't want to wait for a day when it will be too late. I read some articles on the internet, all the sites about vaping give totally positive info aka vaping is safe for everyone and everything, but I can't believe even relevant sites ( maybe this quitsmokingcommunity.org but I can't be sure and don't wanna be advertised). So possibly you have the same knowledge and can help me, I will be grateful.
This is the first I have heard of the topic. You may be the one to give us advice on what you experience!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish you would come back and report what your conclusion was re vaping around plants. As a vaper, this interests me.

I have my thoughts on why I believe it could be bad for plants. I only vape in one room in my home. That room's walls and windows are coated with what I believe is VG (Vegetable Glycerin) and possibly even flavor components that are in the vape eliquid. When the air is dry in the room, you cannot see or feel it on the walls but the more humid it is in that room, the more you can see a sheen on the walls and you can also feel it - it's oily and kinda slimy. The windows are foggy just about all the time. This residue that is on the windows is very hard to clean off properly. Windex alone doesn't work well and even 91% rubbing alcohol is worthless. However it does seem to clean off the walls pretty easily with lysol multipurpose cleaner mixed in water. For the windows I use the lysol mix a few times then a few time with windex and they are clean.

So..my point...I believe vaping could damage a plant since it could coat the leaves with this same residue. The more of a cloud chaser your BF is, the more residue you're gonna have. I would say if you're BF is low wattage vaper (like 25W or less), you would probably be OK. But if he is a high wattage vaper (above 25W) then you may be lookin gat trouble for your plants due to high residue. Of course the amount he vapes will also factor in so even a 15W vape, if it is constant, could also product a heavy coating. I say make him vape in another room.

Ask a Question