A Case to NOT use X-icides

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been growing milkweed plants, including native species, for years so the monarchs have a host plant. All types of milkweeds seem to be super attractive to little yellow aphids; some of the plants get hammered by huge populations, while others seem not so badly affected.

In the interest of biodiversity, I don't use any x-icides, nor do I attempt to wash off the aphids, if the plant can't survive, it dies, that's nature's way. And it seems to work, because the milkweed plants are pretty good at reseeding themselves.

From time to time I will see the larva form of ladybugs on the plants, but I knew there had to be other predators attracted to the aphids and I've read many articles about how many bugs lay eggs on the milkweed plants, because of aphids, but never seen any, not that I really looked hard for them.

The other day I knocked off a yellow dying leaf from a milkweed and checked it to make sure there wasn't a caterpillar on it, but I saw something squirming around, it was only about 2mm long and 1mm wide, so tough to see against the yellow leaf. I saved it in a plastic container, throwing in a few other green leaves, thinking it was eating the leaves.

However, this morning I noticed not one bite mark in the leaves and this thing was squirming around like it wanted out....then I remembered...aphids, maybe this thing is one of those organisms that eat aphids, so I go grab a leaf with aphids, checked back in half an hour and sure enough, it's eating the aphids.

I just looked it up on the internet and this is what I think I got, it looks just like it especially the apparent transparent body in the front and rear ends.

Apparently it's the larvae of the hoverfly (syrphid fly)

1662588496905.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The last image (same as image below) on this link looks exactly what I have, but when I enlarge the image the file size is too large for this site.

1662588714709.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Checked him out this morning and see he finally emerged from his chrysalis. That little yellow thing at the rim of the plastic container is the chrysalis.

Attachments

• DSCN0019 (3).JPG
    DSCN0019 (3).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0030 (3).JPG
    DSCN0030 (3).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0040 (2).JPG
    DSCN0040 (2).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0040 (4).JPG
    DSCN0040 (4).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was busy killing cabbage white caterpillars on my kale plants when I was interrupted by a wasp. Stepped back and watched while it killed and ate a caterpillar. A couple of minutes later another wasp appeared, or the same one came back, and flew all around the kale. "Blooming heck, there were loads of them just now." Then it found the ones on the floor, "Great, ready killed!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw a black wasp with white dots carrying a long skinny grub as long as he was. He took it into what appeared to be a carpenter bee hole. I scratched my head on that one.

Also saw a wasp (I think the same kind) attack and kill small spider a few weeks ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw a black wasp with white dots carrying a long skinny grub as long as he was. He took it into what appeared to be a carpenter bee hole. I scratched my head on that one.

Also saw a wasp (I think the same kind) attack and kill small spider a few weeks ago.
Is this him?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Ask a Question