6 weeks before last frost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I received this article in my email and it reminded me of this thread. I definitely think much of my sowing fails have bee a result of less than optimum soil temps. BTW, there are some good links on this link...

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... The following link is the best one I have found that has a chart.

That is an excellent link...matches my experience. Okra is the highest temp plant listed...and that is absolutely correct in my experience. A lot of folks get anxious to transplant tomatoes thinking they can cover them, but the soil temps 3 inches down is what really determines growth and future production. Stunted plants will almost never recover to equal the production of non stunted plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I started my seeds about a month ago and everything is being repotted into 4" containers.. It is supposed to freeze here again Sunday and Monday but for the past week or so high temps have been in the mid 70's with low's in the 40's. I have my garden ready to go and if soil temps are OK I will start planting out in about 2 weeks but in reality planting out will probably be April 1 or thereabouts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The traditional date to plant seed potatoes in the UK and Ireland is St. Patrick' Day (17th March).
However, because last year wasn't a good year for potatoes, the quality of those available in the shops is seriously poor, and likely to decline further, until the first of the new potatoes arrive, which will be hugely in demand, with a price to match.
As I am reluctant to buy potatoes on either basis, and, since for me, rice and pasta are occasionals, I bought an extra 2kg pack of first earlies (approx. 30 tubers) and sowed some in pots in the greenhouse in January, which just poked through yesterday, and planted the rest, deeper than normal in a row in the ground.
Since it is likely that the first new potatoes in the shops will not be less than £4 (~$5.50)/kg, and my extra 2kg of seed cost £2 total, I am prepared to accept the smaller yields, in order to avoid this daylight robbery.

Ask a Question