2nd year grafted pear tree - prune trunk?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a 2nd year (to me) grafted pear tree from stark bros. This thing really took off last year when i got it and grew very tall. I am wondering if im supposed to cut down the trunk at all, as i see all my other (more mature fruit trees) have had done to them. If so, where exactly should i do. This pear tree is a dwarf i believe. I have attached pictures for reference and look forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pear1.jpg
    pear1.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 133
  • pear2.jpg
    pear2.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Hello,
Personally, from your pics, I would cut off around 2-3 feet of the top of the long central leader. Mind you, I am not an expert, but I think you need to start balancing the main growth limbs.
Best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So i cut it about 36 inches as you suggested. The central leader is now about the height of the highest branches. Thanks for your advise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You should also remove one of the lowest branches as well. If they are both allowed to grow it becomes a weak point in the trunk which is more likely to break. Generally fruit trees should have 4 or 5 main scaffold branches spaced evenly around the trunk and 10 to 15 inches apart vertically. Pears grow short ‘spurs’ that produce flowers and fruit, these will produce for several years and should be left until they stop fruiting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the further advice. I pruned the lowest branch. Please see pic of the pear tree now and let me know if you all approve

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_155823.jpg
    IMG_20200401_155823.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 113
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It’s the 3 branches at the bottom that are too close together that need to be thinned- choose 1 and remove the other 2. I would keep the one on the right and cut it back about 1/2 to an outward facing bud. When new branches sprout, remove the ones that don't ’fit’ the pattern of 10-15” apart and spirally arranged around the trunk.

Reaction score
Country
United States
would you be bale to mark the latest picture i have up, so that i know exactly what it is you are asking me to thin and cut? Sorry if im asking for too much, i just dont want to make a mistake. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Unfortunately I’m not able to mark on the picture (I’m old and not tech-savvy enough).

From the picture there are 3 branches. The lowest one is the smallest and is growing horizontally- it should be removed. The next thickest one is almost horizontal then it grows straight up- it should be removed. The third one is the biggest and grows mostly up- keep it and shorten it about 1/2 to an outward facing bud. As new branches form, keep the ones that follow the ‘spirally arranged 10-15” apart vertically‘ pattern. So when you’re done there will be 1 branch and a trunk left. There is a pruning regimen that is based on cutting the new growth about halfway back during the summer to keep the tree smaller for easier picking. Check out Dave Wilson Nursery for details.

Ask a Question