Problem with grafted tree

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have an issue with grafted Valencia Orange tree. I think it's turning into something else. There are no shoots from below the graft site, but there are a lot of new leaves in the body of my (very small) tree which appear to be different from the Valencia leaves.???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an issue with grafted Valencia Orange tree. I think it's turning into something else. There are no shoots from below the graft site, but there are a lot of new leaves in the body of my (very small) tree which appear to be different from the Valencia leaves.???
Trees don't magically turn into something else. The odd shaped leaves are either coming from the root stock or there is more than one graft on the tree. Sometimes growers will graft numerous other fruits onto a rootstock via the main scion. These are called Fruit Cocktail trees. Or perhaps the tree is very young and its new leaves are a little different from when the old leaves first appeared. Pictures would help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow, I have enough trouble just keeping up with one type of fruit on a tree. I have heard of those cocktail trees and have seen pictures but never one in person. I imagine its a greenhouse special, pampered in every way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, I have enough trouble just keeping up with one type of fruit on a tree. I have heard of those cocktail trees and have seen pictures but never one in person. I imagine it's a greenhouse special, pampered in every way.
It's mostly a marketing gimmick. They do it with stone fruit and citrus. It normally fails fairly quickly, say within 4 or 5 years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a "family" apple tree, three varieties on one rootstock, "Fiesta" "Queen Cox" & "Greensleeves", all doing well, and a family pear tree, too young to fruit, "Conference" "Williams Bon Chretien" and "Doyen do Comice".
I like the idea of an extensive season from 1 tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a "family" apple tree, three varieties on one rootstock, "Fiesta" "Queen Cox" & "Greensleeves", all doing well, and a family pear tree, too young to fruit, "Conference" "Williams Bon Chretien" and "Doyen do Comice".
You should call it "Roald Dahl" in honor of the author of the everlasting gobstopper from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you have is a little different from a fruit cocktail tree. Your's is all apples or all pears. A fruit cocktail tree has oranges, grapefruits, lemons or any other citrus fruit. All of the fruit is different

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm aware of the difference, & hoped I'd made it clear.
The purpose of my post was not to contradict you, just to give further info on how multiple grafting can work.
Hope this clears that up.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Trees don't magically turn into something else. The odd shaped leaves are either coming from the root stock or there is more than one graft on the tree. Sometimes growers will graft numerous other fruits onto a rootstock via the main scion. These are called Fruit Cocktail trees. Or perhaps the tree is very young and its new leaves are a little different from when the old leaves first appeared. Pictures would help
Thanks Chuck. This is the tree. It's a few years old but doesn't get a lot of watering due to being on a weekend.
My question is can the stock take over the grafted shoots, causing them produce stock shoots instead of grafted shoots?

Attachments

• 20191222_053638.jpg
    20191222_053638.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 130
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. This is the tree. It's a few years old but doesn't get a lot of watering due to being on a weekend.
My question is can the stock take over the grafted shoots, causing them produce stock shoots instead of grafted shoots?
Can you take a picture of the base of the tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's mostly a marketing gimmick. They do it with stone fruit and citrus. It normally fails fairly quickly, say within 4 or 5 years.
Is that true? I just bought a cocktail of 5 apple trees varieties and a cocktail of 4 cherry tree variety. And I grafted 3 variety of stone fruits interchangeably.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The main thing is to know which branch is which and keep the extra-vigorous varieties from overtaking the less vigorous ones. The best-adapted to your climate variety will out-grow the less-adapted ones. If you used Santa Rosa plum, it will out-grow almost any other stone fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These trees are grafted onto a rootstock and then when the tree is big enough more grafts are added. And we all know that the more parts something has the more prone it is to failure. Same thing with trees. All of the different grafts must be completely compatible with each other for a long lived tree. Limb breakage at the graft point is another concern. I am not saying there aren't long lived cocktail type trees it is just my experience being around them that this is often not the case.

Ask a Question