Do I need a 2nd Plum Tree?

Reaction score
Hi all -

I planted a plum tree two years ago. Last year I was eagerly looking forward to at least a few tasties, but got none - thanks mostly to a deer who helped herself to the baby green shoots in the spring. I read recently that I ought to have two plum trees in order to get the best pollination. Is this true?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know the variety?

Some Plums, like Victoria are self fertile, but others need a pollinator of the same group, early, mid season or late flowering.

Reaction score
I'll check when I go out shortly. I still have the tag on it from the nursery. :rolleyes: I thought I bought a self-pollinating variety, but could be wrong.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
May well be, a lot are self polinating but they can be at the mercy of late frosts, no bees etc.

Reaction score
I have just one, although I plan to plant more..and it produced the first year but not the next...then again produced. I plan on planting more fruit trees as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you can afford another, and have room for it, I'd get another.
"Self-fertile" often means you'll get something of a crop, but they usually do better with cross-pollination.

Ask a Question