22 October 2015 Horseradish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/October 2015/22 October 2015 Horseradish/HTML/ 22 October 2015 Horseradish
One horseradish plant was harvested and made into horseradish condiment. Two root pieces were placed in pots and buried in the ground to overwinter for the 2016 harvest.They will be moved to a final location in the Spring and removed from the pots. The roots obtained were rinsed and placed in a clothes washing machine to give a through cleaning. Roots were made into condiment by simply adding vinegar in a blender and beating to the desired texture. Excess vinegar was drained off through a screen. Extra roots were vacuum packed and stored in the refrigerator. Condiment will be made as required. This method prevents discoloration and means fresh condiment when required. The refrigerated roots last almost indefinitely. If blending large amounts it should be done outdoors, since the fumes can be overwhelming.
dsc_784722%20october%202015%20horseradish_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really bother with potting and unpotting etc. I just dig up enough for my requirements, and a bit for my neighbour who likes it, add a handful of bonemeal to the hole, and sure enough, up it comes the following spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I don't really bother with potting and unpotting etc. I just dig up enough for my requirements, and a bit for my neighbour who likes it, add a handful of bonemeal to the hole, and sure enough, up it comes the following spring.
What a process Durgan. My dad grew horseradish and his process was like headfullofbees. For me, If I use it 4 times a year that is probably it, so a nice jar from the Amish farms will last me a while.
Wonder if my dads plant is still there. hum. I'll never know.

Reaction score
Hehehe, had to double check at the washing machine part :O Did you use lukewarm or cold water to wash it? This looks like such a process just to harvest horseradish, but then again... I'm not used to growing edibles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They look so nice and clean! Unfortunately, I don't use horseradish but the ones I saw at the local market looked nothing like yours, and they looked very dirty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Used cold water. The small tentacles are difficult to clean so the washing machine is used. Usually I have a larger quantity. I use to scrape each piece but had to find another method. After blending the little bit of color left comes out perfectly white. I also use to mass produce the condiment, but now do it in smaller batches. It is hot and always.white, which is more appealing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Used cold water. The small tentacles are difficult to clean so the washing machine is used. Usually I have a larger quantity. I use to scrape each piece but had to find another method. After blending the little bit of color left comes out perfectly white. I also use to mass produce the condiment, but now do it in smaller batches. It is hot and always.white, which is more appealing.
That's a good idea.
I'll try, using one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Washing-Med...=8-1&keywords=washing+machine+bags+large+mesh

Ask a Question