25 October 2015 Apple Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/October 2015/25 October 2015 Apple Juice/HTML/ 25 October 2015 Apple Juice
Twenty five pounds of organic apples were processed into 14 liter jars of juice. The apples were washed, cut into quarters,covered with water in a cooking pot, cooked until soft, blended into a slurry, strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill screen, placed in liter jars, pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_845325%20october%202015%20apple%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds fantastic and delicious! I love apple juice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hated apple juice when I was a kid, but now I like it very much and would gladly drink it every day:) It's so healthy and yummy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not very fond of cold apple juice, but I really enjoy a cup of hot spiced apple cider. Do you go through the same process to make apple cider as you do to make apple juice? I have never made it before and I am interested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
From what I can understand cider is apple juice with all the particles included and apple juice is filtered to clarify. So the stuff I have is probably classified as cider. There is also hard apple juice which is fermented to get some alcohol. Also commercially both juices can e pasteurized. So in conclusion there is little difference between the cider and apple juice. Apple juice stores longer but both seem to keep for long periods anyway. Also spices are often added to enhance flaour.

I like my method, since the whole apple is utilized. Here is a nice method to use fresh pristine apples for a simple dessert.
http://www.durgan.org/2015/October 2015/26 October 2015 Dessert/HTML/index.htm 26 October 2015 Dessert
dsc_846525%20october%202015%20apple%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
This is awesome! I'm sure your apple juice came out amazing. I am surprised that you boiled the apples and used a blending method. I have never heard of doing this, so that's pretty interesting to me. Your process sounds like so much more fun than using a basic juicer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
For years I use to basically make juice by blending various fruit raw and kept in the refrigerator for around a week in containers. This obviously limited my endeavors to what was available in supermarkets or during our short growing season. Then I started to experiment with pressure canning. I found the pressure cooked material was more easily digested and the variety was unlimited. Now I juice everything and pressure can it. I have about 500 liter jars of produce which will be consumed, mostly by myself, by about June 2016.

I had a centrifugal juicer which basically only got the water and discarded the particle material. I consider this to be self defeating. I now utilize the whole fruit or vegetable, particles and liquid, except for gross cellulose material. Nutritionally it should be as close to 100% as is possible compared to other preserving methods. As an aide I am of the opinion , in general, that cooked is far superior to raw.

The present day nutrient mantra is "eat more fruit and vegetables". This juicing method is my contribution to the effort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am thanking all those who are posting pictures of their harvest. It is a good motivating factor for me to persevere with our garden. Right now, the only fruits we have are the starfruit and sugar apple. The star fruit that is planted in a big rubber pot has only 1 fruit left and no buds. The sugar apple has plenty of fruits and some can be harvested next week. Our mango has some flowers but no sign of small fruits yet. Mango flowers are destroyed by the rain.

Reaction score
This is very interesting! Because of your persistence in processing your apple juice I am sure it is very delicious! I love apples and anything that can be made from this fruit because it is very healthy and taste good too! Thanks for sharing your own method of processing an apple juice. Great ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am really craving fresh apple juice now and was thinking of investing in a juicer this year. I will not be able to make a lot of juice, but it would be nice to have a few servings when the mood strikes. I could even warm it up on a nice cold winter day and sip it all down.

Ask a Question