2017: plant(s) that you have been most happy with!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A new dahlia
SAM_0072.JPG

Art Nouveau is after a masterpiece by an artist. Yesterday, I suddenly spotted some yellow in the petals. Instantly much more interesting.
SAM_0069.JPG

No wonder it's @MaryMary 's favorite!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, I give every plant space. I never plant out small plants preferring to grow them on first.
Your "covered" echinacea would be better grown on .....only 8" tall so I would pot it or move it to a more open position. My "plan" is simple.....for every plant to look good in its own right. Plants are at least 60 cm across but on average a metre wide. Of course many are a lot more than that; dahlias, heleniums,,salvias etc.
Less plants but grown bigger then alp?
Trouble is though we want most every plant we see, don't we? :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, I give every plant space. I never plant out small plants preferring to grow them on first.
Your "covered" echinacea would be better grown on .....only 8" tall so I would pot it or move it to a more open position. My "plan" is simple.....for every plant to look good in its own right. Plants are at least 60 cm across but on average a metre wide. Of course many are a lot more than that; dahlias, heleniums,,salvias etc.
Less plants but grown bigger then alp?
Trouble is though we want most every plant we see, don't we? :)

Hahaha! You know me so well. :eek: Now I understand my dilemma: I always buy one pot and stick it in and with the passage of time, more will be stuck in the favorable spots and some get hidden and never get to see the sun and die .. Some even get planted on top of another one as my ideal planting spots are few and far between. Yesterday, whilst replanting my irises, I discovered the whereabouts of my viridpace! So happy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. The perfumes of roses are just out of this world. My purple one smells delicious and so does the peachy one.

I would say my third one is achilleas.. I have £1 cerise queen. Most beautiful. I bought 4 at RHS Hyde Hall.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think the yellow has made it much more interesting. Dahlia should do well in a hot place, but I don't know how cold your area can be.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, my dear @Logan - I did see bees on them, but I think any purple flowers will be a better choice. I just love their vibrant colours

Cerise queen is simply stunning

sam_0080-jpg.23731

And it only cost me £1

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, my dear @Logan - I did see bees on them, but I think any purple flowers will be a better choice. I just love their vibrant colours

Cerise queen is simply stunning

sam_0080-jpg.23731

And it only cost me £1
@alp that's lovely colour, yes you're right. I might try and grow that colour.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just ask your hubby to go to Poundland next summer. £1 for such a lovely addition, you can't go wrong. They also have rudbackia hoopesii and some really good buys.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@alp yes i will thanks. I sometimes go into town for dress making fabric, i'll have a look as well.:)

I remember my mother making all of her own dresses when I was a kid. She would buy a pattern and fabric, cut the pieces out and sew everything together. I was the one who usually walked around her while she stood still using that "tool" that marked the hem (a little bottle filled with white powder that had a bulb that when squeezed would leave a mark). I'm 61 now; my mom just celebrated her 100th birthday back in May. I wonder how many women still make their own dresses. (Hope that isn't sexist!)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I remember my mother making all of her own dresses when I was a kid. She would buy a pattern and fabric, cut the pieces out and sew everything together. I was the one who usually walked around her while she stood still using that "tool" that marked the hem (a little bottle filled with white powder that had a bulb that when squeezed would leave a mark). I'm 61 now; my mom just celebrated her 100th birthday back in May. I wonder how many women still make their own dresses. (Hope that isn't sexist!)[/QUOTE
It's mostly women who sew. But on the great British sewing bee, there's men as well. I was taught at school to sew and do crafts. But before i was always messing around on my mom's sewing machine. That's great news about your mom.

Ask a Question