2017: plant(s) that you have been most happy with!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful yellow Dahlia in earlier post and professional photo too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
my mom just celebrated her 100th birthday back in May. I wonder how many women still make their own dresses.

Your mom is great!
Here many young girls sew for themselves.
Many women like to embroider with threads and beads. Very beautiful!

Many flowers disappointed me this summer. They blossomed late because of the cold. I'm not even sure I can collect some seeds.
But the daylilies bloomed well as ever. They did not notice the cold.

15.jpg

14.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Another of my favourites is Coronilla Glauca Citrina pretty little yellow flowers in abundance throughout the spring and summer. Have a variagated one which is a lovely plant but have to be careful that we only cut out reverted growth in early Autumn otherwise it looks untidy for months like the rabbits have been chewing and then decided they didn't like it. It has a rather strange common name which is Bastard senna, Don't ask me how it got such a name, I don't have a clue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And the scent too Robert......often more noticeable over winter; Citrina flowers over winter down here :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I remember my mother making all of her own dresses when I was a kid. She would buy a pattern and fabric, cut the pieces out and sew everything together. I was the one who usually walked around her while she stood still using that "tool" that marked the hem (a little bottle filled with white powder that had a bulb that when squeezed would leave a mark). I'm 61 now; my mom just celebrated her 100th birthday back in May. I wonder how many women still make their own dresses. (Hope that isn't sexist!)

Congratulations to your mum. Wow - a century!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful yellow Dahlia in earlier post and professional photo too.

Ah, no! I am no photographer at all. Thank you for the kind words. You should take your camera and have a go. It is a memory making tool and you could show which bit of the flowers you like most. I was very interest in the little hair on the top of the stigma and also the velvety sheen of some petunias and tried my best to capture them. I know I'm a bit strange!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Your mom is great!
Here many young girls sew for themselves.
Many women like to embroider with threads and beads. Very beautiful!

Many flowers disappointed me this summer. They blossomed late because of the cold. I'm not even sure I can collect some seeds.
But the daylilies bloomed well as ever. They did not notice the cold.

View attachment 27202
View attachment 27203
View attachment 27204
View attachment 27205
View attachment 27206
View attachment 27207

@Larisa I know what you mean. I thought I could collect some dahlia seeds, but without the heat, the seed heads won't work.

You have so many lovely day lilies, I like the peachy, pinky and gold ones. They remind me of @zenji 's beautiful lilies. Stunning photos, @Larisa ! We have only half a summer and autumn is already here .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely beautiful dahlias alp. I had a couple but they have vanished. I must try again.

Thank you. They are definitely worth a try. I wish I had more split petal ones.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another of my favourites is Coronilla Glauca Citrina pretty little yellow flowers in abundance throughout the spring and summer. Have a variagated one which is a lovely plant but have to be careful that we only cut out reverted growth in early Autumn otherwise it looks untidy for months like the rabbits have been chewing and then decided they didn't like it. It has a rather strange common name which is Bastard senna, Don't ask me how it got such a name, I don't have a clue.

What a terrible name to give to these dainty zesty flowers:eek:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It has a rather strange common name which is Bastard senna, Don't ask me how it got such a name, I don't have a clue.

But...but... I have to know!! :confused:

Ok, I haven't researched anything for a while... I'll find out, and let you know. (y) I haven't practiced my google-fu for at least a month, and I love a challenge!! :D (Besides...words! :love:.)

About Bastard Senna:
This shrub is known to gardeners as Securidaca: it is also called ‘bastard senna’ because it has several properties which are similar to those of true senna, but this name is also somewhat obsolete. https://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/did/did2222.0001.973/--scorpion-senna?rgn=main;view=fulltext;q1=Pierre+Daubenton+le+Subdélégué

"Similar to those of true senna" - but not quite? :confused: (Is the "bastard" literal?)

A-ha! (y) Senna is in the legume family; Fabaceae. The genus Securidaca is in the Polygalaceae family!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_(plant)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securidaca

:eek: Lots of plants are Bastards!!

I have found a plant, the botanical name is Erythroxylum Monogynum; it is commonly known as "Bastard Sandal." https://herbpathy.com/Uses-and-Benefits-of-Bastard-Sandal-Cid5620

PRICKLY YELLOW, Zanthoxylum sp. RUTACEAE ...(snip)... Note: There are other species of Prickly Yellow commonly called: Bastard Prickly Yellow, White Tamarind, and Wild Tamarind. https://ambergriscaye.com/fieldguide/bzplants.html

Bastard Balm has pretty flowers!
https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/bastard-balm

I've found it!!
upload_2017-9-15_3-8-17.gif
upload_2017-9-15_3-8-26.gif

On a page about Bastard Toadflax:
The common epithet, bastard toadflax, while colorful, may mislead; neither the flower nor leaves resemble a flax or a toadflax. ...(snip)... Bastard means false or of unusual shape or size.
Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/flora/bastard-toadflax.html#ixzz4sjGZgeEk

:geek: I feel much better. Maybe now I can sleep. :unsure:

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Googled bastard balm - very pretty indeed

b4db652333b9b1eb45b96b53ed0bc43c.jpg