2017: plant(s) that you have been most happy with!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Plants that have pleased me most this summer are Sanguisorba Lilac Squirrel, zaluzianskya, the cannas, heleniums, anemones Wild Swan and Ruffled Swan, Salvias of course, dwarf kniphofias, and pennisetum rubrum (stunning red/purple grass with long foxy red flowers......brought through the winter again) :)

Must get this zluzianskya. My cannas are still babies and growing. Very pleased as I have a dozen growing. Wish one would be yellow like @zenji 's Won't buy any grass again as the Fireworks died on me.

@Verdun Next year, I will show you my various salvia, probably the blue ones as well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fireworks is tender alp. A rubrum type best treated as a short term perennial, viz., as you would treat dahlias over winter. Most grasses are however tough.
I have cannas standing well over 8' now......red, orange and yellow flowers. :) However, it is the foliage too that is eye catching....Pretoria with green and white variegation, Phasion with its psychedelic colouring,,Tropicanna Black with black purple leaves.(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fireworks is tender alp. A rubrum type best treated as a short term perennial, viz., as you would treat dahlias over winter. Most grasses are however tough.
I have cannas standing well over 8' now......red, orange and yellow flowers. :) However, it is the foliage too that is eye catching....Pretoria with green and white variegation, Phasion with its psychedelic colouring,,Tropicanna Black with black purple leaves.(y)

When are we going to have a feast for the eyes of all these delices ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The fucshias are my first favourite. My dad bought me my first plant,i had when i was 9. Didn't know how to look after it, but it flowered for a long time. I didn't know why it suddenly died, but it was just going to sleep for the winter. The first one is in the hanging basket.
IMG_20170911_082058.jpg

IMG_20170911_082201.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I splashed out and bought the orange Asclepias tuberosa. They didn't flower for too long and now have 3 big seed pods! Results. I wish mine were as rampant as yours, @JBtheExplorer ! Such a stunning show!

Younger plants tend to have fewer flowers and bloom for a shorter period. Year 3 or 4 is when they reach their prime. They can also look better when planted in groups.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Robert, I am one for the latest varieties of plants but there is a lot to be said for the old fashioned and scented plants like heliotrope, violets, the old green artemisia/lads love, etc. They are loved when re introduced into their gardens. :)
It was an old fella who introduced me to the cherry pie some 20 years or so ago. He in turn prob had it from his parents, etc. In my case it will feature in gardens I build for my own young family. All good things make a comeback (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Younger plants tend to have fewer flowers and bloom for a shorter period. Year 3 or 4 is when they reach their prime. They can also look better when planted in groups.

Thank you for the info. I have about 30 young plants or even more. But no flowers at all and now I don't even know where half of them gone. I bought tons of seeds as I like them so much. In the end, the only flowers that I could see was bought from RHS garden centre for £3.33.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The fucshias are my first favourite. My dad bought me my first plant,i had when i was 9. Didn't know how to look after it, but it flowered for a long time. I didn't know why it suddenly died, but it was just going to sleep for the winter. The first one is in the hanging basket.
View attachment 27086
View attachment 27087

@Logan The hanging basket is bursting with flowers.. Amazing .. You're so brilliant. I also have the 2nd one and I have them everywhere, front and back and they are fantastic.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Robert, I am one for the latest varieties of plants but there is a lot to be said for the old fashioned and scented plants like heliotrope, violets, the old green artemisia/lads love, etc. They are loved when re introduced into their gardens. :)
It was an old fella who introduced me to the cherry pie some 20 years or so ago. He in turn prob had it from his parents, etc. In my case it will feature in gardens I build for my own young family. All good things make a comeback (y)

Agree. All good things make a comeback

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This year, as you know, I am very taken with my dahlia, with this pompon amongst one of the best. Colour is superb and so is form.

sam_1113-jpg.26015

Next come this exquisite understated beauty
sam_1106-jpg.26009

and her fiery sister
sam_0766-jpg.26040

But my favorite has got to be the dinner plates

sam_1118-jpg.26020

Frosted tips

sam_1117-jpg.26019

And Crazy love
sam_0009-jpg.26974

And my avatar

sam_0006-jpg.26971

Wish I had another one with a different colour!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Profusely! How correct is that! I counted one plant and there were nearly 50 buds on it. Perhaps there were more than one plant... Every time I walked to that part of the garden, I tried to count the endless blooms..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and great value for money too, we have some that must be 25 years old were my great grandmothers old fashioned varieties have been split many times but still good as ever.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3168.JPG
Just for you alp, and in the pouring rain, here is one clump of Pennisetum Rubrum......bigger than picture suggests. A bigger grouping out back but not going to get too wet :)

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, they are lovely. Love the deep maroon colour. I love that variegated leaves next to it. Is that a pittosporum?

I want to ask you, @Verdun . I have so many plants around the border that only when I cleared up the area that I discovered thatI had forgotten some plants. Do you have a limit as to how many plants you have in one area? I suddenly saw an echinaceas being "covered" or shoved to the background by other plants and it's only about 8 inches tall because of that. Or you have a plan ..

Ask a Question