2017: plant(s) that you have been most happy with!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For me, I am the opposite. I can induce myself to sleep just like that. I have the feeling that I might be depressed and just want to sleep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I can see that I've started something now with my post on Bastard senna, perhaps I should have mentioned a another of my favourites Cytisus Battendierii the pineapple broom.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Another of my favourites is the pot marigolds
IMG_20170911_082313.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Logan, is pot marigold another name for calendula? If so, I think I'll get some seed and give them a go--yours are gorgeous!

@marlingardener @Logan has some more different marigolds and they are sooo different from the calendula or the marigold we have in mind. Have a go, especially if you have a big garden. I had to pull up my calendula as my garden is too small.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Robert Cummings I was so out of my depth that I had to google this flower
1432920113_argyrocytisus_battandieri_A.jpg

I discover that you have a partiality to yellow! Hahaha, but I could be very wrong!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ah, thank you both, Logan and Alp. We have big gardens, so I'll be trying calendulas next year.
I asked because our local seed supplier has calendula seed, but nothing called pot marigolds.
I plant French marigolds between the rows of potatoes to deter nematodes. So far it has worked, and it also makes the potato patch look so cheerful. What is it about marigolds of any size, color or shape that makes one smile?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, thank you both, Logan and Alp. We have big gardens, so I'll be trying calendulas next year.
I asked because our local seed supplier has calendula seed, but nothing called pot marigolds.
I plant French marigolds between the rows of potatoes to deter nematodes. So far it has worked, and it also makes the potato patch look so cheerful. What is it about marigolds of any size, color or shape that makes one smile?

I wish I had some of @Logan 's marigold from last year. They were proper marigold, not calendula ..boy,, they were sooo gorgeous..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Robert Cummings I was so out of my depth that I had to google this flower
1432920113_argyrocytisus_battandieri_A.jpg

I discover that you have a partiality to yellow! Hahaha, but I could be very wrong!
I do like yellow, it's bright and cheerful, reminds me of Summer and happy holidays by the sea. But the Horticulturist in me also likes pastel shades too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have to give a mention to rudbeckia goldsturn...been in flower for weeks now and will continue right through the autumn. And, of course, the cannas. Prob the most majestic plants at this time of year. A dozen or more around the garden in shades of yellow, orange and red. I will add a couple more :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Have to give a mention to rudbeckia goldsturn...been in flower for weeks now and will continue right through the autumn. And, of course, the cannas. Prob the most majestic plants at this time of year. A dozen or more around the garden in shades of yellow, orange and red. I will add a couple more :)

Ask a Question